Building a 93 Gallon Cube

John Mills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be the my first true build. Our LFS had a new 93 Gallon Marineland rimless cube with a corner overflow with stand at a price we just couldn't pass up. I don't really know what my plans are for the tank yet so I'm open to suggestions. I just ordered a Jebao DCP-5000 Return Pump and a IceCap 3K Gyre that should be here Friday. I'm not sure if I'm going to build a sump, or if I'll buy one and I'm not sure what'll go in it other than a pair of Maroon Clowns. I'd love to hear any suggestions from equipment to to livestock to aquascaping.
93Gallon.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be the my first true build. Our LFS had a new 93 Gallon Marineland rimless cube with a corner overflow with stand at a price we just couldn't pass up. I don't really know what my plans are for the tank yet so I'm open to suggestions. I just ordered a Jebao DCP-5000 Return Pump and a IceCap 3K Gyre that should be here Friday. I'm not sure if I'm going to build a sump, or if I'll buy one and I'm not sure what'll go in it other than a pair of Maroon Clowns. I'd love to hear any suggestions from equipment to to livestock to aquascaping.
93Gallon.jpg
Looks like fun :) Following along. If you build your own sump, you can create it exactly the way you want it, as opposed to buying a pre-made one and running with what they give you. What kind of nutrient export method do you think you're going to do? Water changes, triton method, zeolit method? That will all determine what kind of sump you want to build and design or purchase. As far as aquascape, i'd start with relatively flat rocks on the bottom, and then rocks stacked on top of that. That way you have alot of space for LPS and good space above for your SPS corals :)

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cubes are interesting in regards to aquascaping, I would focus on building a scape the starts wide at the bottom and tapers towards the top end of the tank to give everything some depth. If you put the tank in a corner, then you can stack the rock up against the two wall sides of the aquarium, just know that the rock can and will most likely scratch the glass. Be sure to incorporate plenty of caves and hidey holes for your fish and inverts and make sure the sides of your aquascape aren't too vertical to avoid shadowing :)

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has some sumps that are cube friendly but its really not that hard to build an acrylic sump to perfectly fit in the stand. Its all prep work

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always liked the 93g cube. Was actually debating about getting this tank. I'd be interested to see what's your take on the Ice Cap Gyre. Also, if possible, I'd get a sump, even if it's a 20L sump, you can run a fuge, and have decent space for a skimmer. That is, if you are going to skimmer/fuge route for nutrient export. Looking forward to this build.

OP
OP
John Mills

John Mills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress. At least the tank is in the house. My return pump and Icecap Gyre should be here today after a delay in shipping. I ordered a Maxspect Ethereal with controller, we'll see if that'll be enough light. It should be here Wednesday. I've had some rock in another aquarium that I'm planning on using along with some new rock that's been curing for about two months. I'll start working on the aquascape tonight. I'm still not really sure what I'm going to do with the sump. I'm not really sure what kind of life I'm going to put in the tank yet. I have a huge Kenya Tree and a pretty large Zenia that the wife wants to keep, but I do not want in my 130g, so I may move them over to this 93. I've been watching the ULM Tank Trials, and am interested in the sump they've built for the softy tank, I kind of hate to just go ahead and do that, but if it doesn't seem like it's working out, I can always change it up. I have a 29 from petco to make the sump from.

Thoughts?

IMG_0365.jpg

goober

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your plan for nutrient export? That will help determine what you are going to do with your sump :)

OP
OP
John Mills

John Mills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try to use just a refugium, lit by a Kessil H380 Halo II, in combination with regular water changes and a carbon reactor We'll see how it goes, and If I need more than that can provide, I'll modify the sump to incorporate a skimmer. Of course, I'll have live rock in the tank, I'll use sand, and I have marine pure blocks that'll go in the sump.

OP
OP
John Mills

John Mills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light came in today, and working on aquascaping. I really like this huge piece of pukani, but it's just not really tall enough. I'll keep playing with it as I have loads more rock.
Also, I'm thinking I'll paint the inside of the cabinet white, so that may delay things by another week or so but it should make it much easier to see in there.

FQ7gkqd.jpg

9D5Yuiy.jpg

5DOWFQZ.jpg

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would work on your rock aquascape, and get a sump. Inside of sump just grow some cheato, Skimmer, and return pump. You might want to have a Reactor for GFO or Carbon. I don’t run filter socks. Also a heater later you could run a Apex controller

OP
OP
John Mills

John Mills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would work on your rock aquascape, and get a sump. Inside of sump just grow some cheato, Skimmer, and return pump. You might want to have a Reactor for GFO or Carbon. I don’t run filter socks. Also a heater later you could run a Apex controller
Oh yea, the rock work is far from done. I'm going to try to go skimmer-less and see how it goes. The sump will be a 29 gallon tank with cheato lit by a Kessil H380 and at least a carbon reactor. This tank is for my wife, so we're going for the least amount of maintanence as possible. She works and keeps an apartment a few hours away during the week, coming home on the weekends. This tank will go to her apartment.
I'm going to get it running and stable at our home before it goes to her apartment.

woejillis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same aquarium and need to get a new sump due to a crack in mine.

Where did you land with a sump for this? I'm looking for suggestions.

woejillis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and am looking for a new sump due to a crack in my current one.

Where did you land on your sump for this build?

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93Gallon.jpg

What price where u able to get it for? I have the same setup with a sump im going to sell so why im asking. Thanks.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress. At least the tank is in the house. My return pump and Icecap Gyre should be here today after a delay in shipping. I ordered a Maxspect Ethereal with controller, we'll see if that'll be enough light. It should be here Wednesday. I've had some rock in another aquarium that I'm planning on using along with some new rock that's been curing for about two months. I'll start working on the aquascape tonight. I'm still not really sure what I'm going to do with the sump. I'm not really sure what kind of life I'm going to put in the tank yet. I have a huge Kenya Tree and a pretty large Zenia that the wife wants to keep, but I do not want in my 130g, so I may move them over to this 93. I've been watching the ULM Tank Trials, and am interested in the sump they've built for the softy tank, I kind of hate to just go ahead and do that, but if it doesn't seem like it's working out, I can always change it up. I have a 29 from petco to make the sump from.

Thoughts?

IMG_0365.jpg

I had my 93 cube set up at an angle in corner or room instead of flat against a wall. Looksnlike u could do as well? I debated both ways and was hesitant at first but ended up loving having it angled to the walls. U get more of a 3 sided viewing that way and a huge advantage to the cube shape. Either way it is beautiful and u will be hapoy with it. It has been my favorite tank thus far. Only selling mine because went to a 200 gallon deep dimension but alrwady miss having the cube set up.

* Sorry i look futher into your post and saw another pic and there a walkthrough to side if tank. Fist pic i saw in room I wrongfully thought that was a corner of single room

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back