Building a Biocube lid

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm building a lid for my Biocube 32 and I'm wondering how should I get a trace of the front curved part onto wood? I'm using wood with several coats of Spar Urethane to seal it but I don't know how to accurately trace the curved part of the lid. Any ideas?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if a regular pencil will not work then a grease pencil ?

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if a regular pencil will not work then a grease pencil ?
Haha no sorry I meant like a way to get a trace onto the wood. I’m just going to use a pencil but I don’t know how to get an accurate trace onto the wood.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fishbro If you are tracing the inside of the tank top, make a card board piece for the template. Use two pieces of cardboard taped together in the center (with the two pieces of card board butted together). This will make a hinge. Put the cardboard on top of the tank and open one hinge, reach into the tank and trace. Then close that side, and without moving the template, open the other side and trace the other half of the tank.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are tracing the inside of the tank top, make a card board piece for the template. Use two pieces of cardboard taped together in the center (with the two pieces of card board butted together). This will make a hinge. Put the cardboard on top of the tank and open one hinge, reach into the tank and trace. Then close that side, and without moving the template, open the other side and trace the other half of the tank.
Thanks for the help I actually just ended up putting the wood on the tank and tracing it.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would really like to see the finished product
Here’s a pic of the frame done, now just waiting for black paint to arrive at my house before putting on the urethane and screen.

D5D90126-1C01-4182-9A77-5D676C8EFB00.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back