Building an aquarium

Marcus7899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, i just got into the reef hobby about 3 months ago but I been fish keeping for a little over 13 years. I decided to build a 16x16x16 cube reef tank. I got all the things I need (glass, silicone, and so on) I've watched an researched on ways to build it. The King of DIY used 100% silicone to build his when I watched. I got the same kind as he did but when I read the back it said not for aquarium use. As you can imagine I'm pretty ticked and was wondering if I should keep using the silicone since he did despite what the back says.

Thank you, Mark

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand?

Most of them will say "not for aquarium" because they don't want the liability. Built many many tanks over the years. Just recently switched to one meant for aquariums specifically.

GE silicone 1 is what I used before that.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, i just got into the reef hobby about 3 months ago but I been fish keeping for a little over 13 years. I decided to build a 16x16x16 cube reef tank. I got all the things I need (glass, silicone, and so on) I've watched an researched on ways to build it. The King of DIY used 100% silicone to build his when I watched. I got the same kind as he did but when I read the back it said not for aquarium use. As you can imagine I'm pretty ****** and was wondering if I should keep using the silicone since he did despite what the back says.
Thank you, Mark
You might want to read this thread and try to ID some info on what you have . Being its your first tank and we dont know if you are going extra thick on the glass and what sort of bracing, I would recommend something that has good structural bonding strength.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/aquarium-silicone-sealant-comparisons.118131/

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been able to find aquarium silicone at my local hardware store. That would be my suggestion. Also, Joey (king of diy) is NOT a reef hobbyist by any means (Yes I know he had a reef for a short time and currently has a lionfish) and our systems are much more sensitive than the large freshwater fish, so take everything he does with a small grain of salt.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back