L-Shape or Rectangle?

• Total voters

jttaillon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have never done a tank build thread on here before, but I am getting ready to move on May 20th and I will be building a new tank in the new house. I currently have a 120 and am going to be building or getting something bigger :)

The space that I am looking at placing the tank is next to a half wall between the living room and the dining area. It is 78" long and I have a wall on the one side that is exactly 48".

Some of the things that I am considering are just buying a standard glass tank Like:
Aqueon Tank MegaFlow Black 72"Lx24"Wx29"H 210gal
aqueon-tank-megaflow-black-72lx24wx29h-210gal.aspx

or
Aqueon Tank MegaFlow Black 72"Lx24"Wx24"H 180gal
aqueon-tank-megaflow-black-72lx24wx24h-180gal.aspx

What I do not like about buying a glass tank is that most of them have built in overflows in the back and I want it to be more of a peninsula style tank so I have viewing panels from 3 sides. I guess I could try and get the tank without holes and drill the holes myself, I have drilled plenty of Glass tanks before, just not that big...

My other idea is to build a Tank out of acrylic

I could build something pretty easy in the same dimensions as the tanks above, but I was thinking of doing a L Shaped tank just to be a little different. 72" long 24" wide with a 24"x24"L section to maximize the space I have of 78" x 48".
If I build a tank it will have a height of between 24" and 30" high.

Please let me know what your thoughts are and if you have any experience with a L Shaped Tank.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do not like about buying a glass tank is that most of them have built in overflows in the back and I want it to be more of a peninsula style tank so I have viewing panels from 3 sides. I guess I could try and get the tank without holes and drill the holes myself, I have drilled plenty of Glass tanks before, just not that big...

You can order a tank from glasscages.com and they'll put the overflow wherever you want it.

funkyrxman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an L shaped tank for 11 years. It's great: an under appreciated style I think. The tank looks bigger than it is, because your eye wants to complete the cube appearance. It helps curb aggression between fish because of the corner turn. If you position the tank in a certain way, the L shape can build you workable space behind it too, which adds flexibility with pumps and equipment. Good luck!

Ghost415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an L shaped tank for 11 years. It's great: an under appreciated style I think. The tank looks bigger than it is, because your eye wants to complete the cube appearance. It helps curb aggression between fish because of the corner turn. If you position the tank in a certain way, the L shape can build you workable space behind it too, which adds flexibility with pumps and equipment. Good luck!

hey man I have a 200g L shape tank, how would u position thePowerheads tk reach the entire tank and not have any deadzones? My worry is that I’ll have a deadzone where the tank turns (the corner) and I can’t seem to figure out where to put em. Also any Powerheads recommendations other than the MP40? I really don’t fancy spending 600$ on 2 Powerheads like that

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have never done a tank build thread on here before, but I am getting ready to move on May 20th and I will be building a new tank in the new house. I currently have a 120 and am going to be building or getting something bigger :)

The space that I am looking at placing the tank is next to a half wall between the living room and the dining area. It is 78" long and I have a wall on the one side that is exactly 48".

Some of the things that I am considering are just buying a standard glass tank Like:
Aqueon Tank MegaFlow Black 72"Lx24"Wx29"H 210gal
aqueon-tank-megaflow-black-72lx24wx29h-210gal.aspx

or
Aqueon Tank MegaFlow Black 72"Lx24"Wx24"H 180gal
aqueon-tank-megaflow-black-72lx24wx24h-180gal.aspx

My other idea is to build a Tank out of acrylic
I could build something pretty easy in the same dimensions as the tanks above, but I was thinking of doing a L Shaped tank just to be a little different. 72" long 24" wide with a 24"x24"L section to maximize the space I have of 78" x 48".
If I build a tank it will have a height of between 24" and 30" high.

Please let me know what your thoughts are and if you have any experience with a L Shaped Tank.
I like the L shape idea especially since you’re building your house you could easily frame out a non load bearing corner and slam the tank in there easiest would be if 2 stories under the stair case but that would require beams to be ran and such. Really that is if your having you house custom built. But other than that any tank that size is freaking awesome.

ace33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea, funny because we are looking at the same with the same dimensions virtually. This is out final house and our dining area is raised. Ultimately it might come down to cost for us. I would love the shorter end to be a drop off too but not sure that will help with the cost.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back