Bulkhead or over the top return?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's even easier to not have to rely or maintain on anything.

If you're doing an over the top return, drill a tiny 3/16 hole JUST below the water line. Soon as water level lowers, air sucked in, syphon stops. Zero maintenance, and a TINY hole will not change the GPH coming out of the return.

This.

Best option is to put your return close enough to the surface so that it entrains air and breaks the siphon before the sump overflows.

IME, if you have a piece that requires regular maintenance you eventually end upon getting sloppy. Regardless, even if you do maintenance once a week, there's still no guarantee that something doesn't get stuck in it after 3-4 days. (besides, if you remove it to clean it, how do you prevent a flood when you remove the check valve?)

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
besides, if you remove it to clean it, how do you prevent a flood when you remove the check valve?

Man, how did that never actually don on me? That is a really good point.

I suppose the only way you could do maintenance on it is to siphon off some of the water before you shut the pumps off, or before you disassemble the plumbing if you are able to siphon from the sump. Depending upon your draining method (something like a Python automatically disposes of the water), would you be willing to drain the level back down to clean the check valve if you refilled the aquarium before performing the maintenance?

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, how did that never actually don on me? That is a really good point.

I suppose the only way you could do maintenance on it is to siphon off some of the water before you shut the pumps off, or before you disassemble the plumbing if you are able to siphon from the sump. Depending upon your draining method (something like a Python automatically disposes of the water), would you be willing to drain the level back down to clean the check valve if you refilled the aquarium before performing the maintenance?

Or install a ball valve just before your return

32f19ac3980160b7a7047535734e36e1.jpg

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my plan was ( gate or ball valve) from the beginning. But the reason for the thread was to hear peoples experience, pros and cons of over the top or drilled returns.
As for maintence on check valves im not concerned with a valve failing because i always plan redundant fail safes in my systems ( valves, over size sump, water tight stand, siphon breaks,etc...)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back