Bulkhead question

esb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that it’s common to use ABS bulkheads for the overflow of an aquarium. What do people use to connect PVC pipe to an ABS bulkhead?

I’ve got a new 120 gallon acrylic aquarium with an internal overflow with holes in the bottom for overflow and return plumbing. It came with what I believe are ABS bulkheads and I am using PVC pipes for the plumbing. I bought some PVC bulkheads and two of them won’t seal completely and have threads that slip when I tighten the nut too much by hand. Unfortunately I didn’t discover that until the leak test *after* gluing all of the return pipe to the bulkheads :(.

Any suggestions for using PVC pipe with ABS bulkheads? Unfortunately I probably don’t have any extra height to consider threaded bulkheads for an ABS to PVC transition. Or any other suggestions on how to deal with this situation? Do I just bite the bullet and glue PVC pipe to the original ABS bulkheads? (Even that will be a pain since the original bulkheads are a different length than the ones I used and plumbed everything to, but I’ll probably have to deal with that no matter what.)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back