Bully Fish Help

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few months ago a rainwater killifish showed up in my tank (FOWLR). I think it hitchhiked as an egg on some macro algae. He's now about 1.5".

He's bold, but everyone else in the tank didn't seem too bothered (they'd just swim away when he bugged them) -- except for the two chromis, who he terrorized to the point where they went hiding in the rocks near the bottom of the tank all the time. The chromis are the largest fish in the tank, BTW, and were previously actively swimming in the open water. I tried rearranging the rockscape -- no luck. My next step was to catch the killifish and put him in time out in the fuge, where he's been for about 5 days.

Everyone else seems more relaxed now that he's gone. Again, except for the chromis. The smaller of the two comes out occasionally and hangs with the clownfish pair, but the larger will not leave his cave. I know they're not sick -- they're eating and otherwise fine.

I'm not planning on reintroducing the killifish until everyone chills out, but does anyone have any experience with how long that might take? I figure two weeks at least, but so far the one chromis is not returning to anything resembling "normal." The hiding started in late April, if that's worth anything.

And yes, I realize it may not be realistic to reintroduce the killifish at all, but I'm trying to see if I can change the behavior and avoid buying another tank to turn over to a hitchhiker (he's small, but I feel bad that he's in stuck in the fuge which is tiny).

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences with bullies, is they will always be bullies in the confines of an aquarium. Probably wasting time with the time out, and it's already caused disruption. I'd get rid of it.

OP
OP
Dog Whiskey

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences with bullies, is they will always be bullies in the confines of an aquarium. Probably wasting time with the time out, and it's already caused disruption. I'd get rid of it.
I hear you on this, but I'm more wondering about how long it will take for the one chromis in particular to get back to "normal." The other is sort of out and about, but one still seems spooked.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on this, but I'm more wondering about how long it will take for the one chromis in particular to get back to "normal." The other is sort of out and about, but one still seems spooked.
When it starts getting hungry. They don't consume a lot of calories hiding in the rocks. I had one chromis that preferred living in the overflow - another liked hiding behind a powerhead, so they can deviate from their normal behavior.

OP
OP
Dog Whiskey

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it starts getting hungry. They don't consume a lot of calories hiding in the rocks. I had one chromis that preferred living in the overflow - another liked hiding behind a powerhead, so they can deviate from their normal behavior.
Thanks -- but the weird thing is that it IS eating but is staying in this one spot basically 24/7. I suppose I can figure it could take as long as it's been hanging there? I'd just love to give everyone a chance to set some new boundaries before popping the killifish back in.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish stress can lead to other problems, I doubt the chromis will recover if you add this 'bully' back in as it may be a target, if this chromis dies then I assume your 'killfish' will start bullying others, it's your choice but i would not add back in and take to lfs

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks -- but the weird thing is that it IS eating but is staying in this one spot basically 24/7. I suppose I can figure it could take as long as it's been hanging there? I'd just love to give everyone a chance to set some new boundaries before popping the killifish back in.
Once a bully - always a bully - unless another fish puts it in its place. Just my $0.02. As for the chromis, they can be very weird at times. If he's still eating that's the most important thing. Just give him time.

OP
OP
Dog Whiskey

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish stress can lead to other problems, I doubt the chromis will recover if you add this 'bully' back in as it may be a target, if this chromis dies then I assume your 'killfish' will start bullying others, it's your choice but i would not add back in and take to lfs
Yeah, that's my fear. I don't think it's anything the LFS will buy back. It's a brackish water fish that came in as a hitchhiker and I don't really know if it has any value in resale.

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once saw in a film that all drains lead back to the ocean :face-with-tears-of-joy: ;) no wait that was nemo :face-with-tears-of-joy: have to agree with the others in that once a bully always a bully, so if your chromis comes back out of the cave back to being normal again why on earth would you be tempted to return the bully?, its a new nano tank for this little guy else just leave him in the brig in solitary, the chromis will be most grateful

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's my fear. I don't think it's anything the LFS will buy back. It's a brackish water fish that came in as a hitchhiker and I don't really know if it has any value in resale.
is it worth the problems one fish is causing in your aquarium ?

It may not have any money value in return but take it to your LFS they have better knowledge and they may return to you frozen killifish as food :) :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back