BULLY FISH! What fish should you stay away from?

Do you have any "bully fish" in your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 259 61.4%
  • NO bullies just misunderstood...

Votes: 137 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 6.2%

• Total voters

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point in time in the 210, I had an 8-line wrasse (like a sixline on steroids) that was peaceful at first. But then I added a group of pink skunk clowns and that wrasse started going after everybody.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a coral beauty in every tank I have had in the last 20 hrs. I love the color of this, my experience, reef safe fish. The one I currently have though is another store all together... He is a jerk to everyone except my Yellow Tang who is much bigger than the CB. In a short while the YT will need to be re-homed as he is getting too big. At that time I think the CB will be re-homes too.

I love this hobby, I just wish I could have a tank big enough for everything I want. That being said I am thankful for what I have.

Enjoy the hobby!

How many of those tanks had corals? Any issues there?

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, the dreaded six-line wrasse. I actually captured mine in my 90-gallon tank full of live rock. I used an acrylic acclimation box as a fish trap with a mirror tile taped to the inside. It took several days with ALL of my other fish swimming in and out of the trap at will. Of course, the wrasse wouldn't go near it, but it finally couldn't resist the wrasse in the mirror and I sprung the trap! That fish was a holy terror!!

Next would be the dreaded purple pseudochromis or dottyback or whatever it's called. Gorgeous fish, but what a monster!!

I have model citizens now, including two damsels.

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is listing off fish I have in my tank as bullies but I haven't seen any of mine bully each other. I have a 3 striped damsel, blood orange clown, royal gramma, 6-line wrasse, and a purple firefish all coexisting peacefully in my tank. I guess as everyone says, every fish is different and they all have their own personalities. I did transfer them over to a different tank at the same time so they didn't have their own territories set up already so maybe that helped.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible we make the bullies. We don't take in account territory issues. When in a bigger tank no issues. Just because a minimum size tank is good, it doesn't take in acount with more fish issues arrise. The six line. The smaller the tank the more nastier it becomes.

My maroon has turned into a biter. My fingers get close to the nem, game on. She is just protecting the nem from what she thinks is an attacker. She started this after a rock collapse and I had to remove the nem to fix the scape.

Just my 2 cents

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200904_204643(0).jpg

Pretty sure.
Is that not a purple dottyback, Pseudochromis porphyreus?
As opposed to a true orchid which would be Pseudochromis fridmani.

mdbueno1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line wrasse was a big bully to my dottyback until I got my yellow tang, who acts kind of like the sheriff of the tank (doesn't go after anyone but seems to keep an eye on the wrasse).

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all had those fish that are just mean! I call them BULLY FISH! I understand it's in the nature of fish to protect territory and stuff like that but sometimes a fish is just a big bully! Sometimes they not only bully other fish but they bully YOU! HA! Today let's talk about the fish that have been a menace to your other tank inhabitants and which ones you would stay clear of!

What fish have you had bad luck with when it comes to being a bully in the tank?

What fish would you caution people to stay away from?

The worst fish I have had (so far) was a bicolor dottyback. He bullied, killed, and was completely obnoxious. I ended up having to drain the tank about 1/2 way, and remove all the rock and corals to get him out of there. Never another dottyback, not even an orchid.
image via @Waynerock
ED98591F-E377-45DF-9459-D0BEBB5A32CE.jpeg

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sailfin tang is an absolute jerk towards some of my existing tangs as well as any fish I try to introduce into the tank.

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My asfur angel is a bit of a jerk to my regal and koran but not to bad. My female clownfish doesn't harass any fish but God help me if i need to put my hand in the tank for any reason...

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do my research and really vet the fish so I have a nice peaceful tank.

That being said I had a carpenters flasher wrasse in observation with a yellowfin flasher. Both should be peaceful. I made the mistake of adding both of them together and they started to fight. I immediately caught one (the yellowfin) and put him in an acclimation box. I have several wrasses in DT and add any new additions to the main tank with the acclimation box, so It wasn't too surprising. The wrasses all will go by the box a few times, usually flashing, and after a day would leave it alone. After 3 days the fish gets out of the box.

Well the carpenters wrasse wouldn't leave it alone. It CONSTANTLY harassed the other fish for over a WEEK. Flaring, biting at the box, etc. I didn't want the little terror and he had to go back to the store. The yellowfin is wonderful addition with my other two flashers and they all get along.

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at the moment, we have a scopas tang that bullies everything in the pond it is in...and to drive how evil this fish is home...the pond consists of a 5" Clown Trigger, 5-6 inch Louti and Saddleback Groupers and a 7" Emperor Snapper...the Scopas was in our big reef tank but decided to try and kill the other two tangs (a Gem and Purple) that it was introduced with...while also bullying our Anthias AND Quoyi Parrotfish... Evil Crazy Fish...

Otherwise Dottybacks, Most Damsels, Maroon Clowns, Queen and Undulate Triggers get my vote for the biggest bullies

Cheers!

Rhonda L Swetnam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all had those fish that are just mean! I call them BULLY FISH! I understand it's in the nature of fish to protect territory and stuff like that but sometimes a fish is just a big bully! Sometimes they not only bully other fish but they bully YOU! HA! Today let's talk about the fish that have been a menace to your other tank inhabitants and which ones you would stay clear of!

What fish have you had bad luck with when it comes to being a bully in the tank?

What fish would you caution people to stay away from?

image via @Waynerock
ED98591F-E377-45DF-9459-D0BEBB5A32CE.jpeg
I have a large Cinnamon Clown that was pushing my Dogface Puffer around like a beach ball and biting at him.

I also have 2 Ocellaris Clowns that constantly chase and intimidate an Electric Blue Damsel.

My Dogface Puffer attacked and partially consumed a beautiful Long Tentacle Anemone while we were away from home yesterday. They had been living together just fine for months. The Anemone is dying. Sad day.

BeachBumm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger Trigger , LFS said should be reef safe ....You may have better luck but I did not . Pretty fish but this one was mean as #2$% !

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the name suggest, Blue Devil Damsel. Killed My Firefish, Blue green chromis and lately another Blue Devil Damsel. Very Territorial even in a Reefer 350

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back