Bumble Bee Shrimp Parasite - What to do?

dimitrinivo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2021
Messages
300
Reaction score
162
Location
Vancouver, BC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, today i bought a pair of bumble bee shrimp and i noticed one has a parasite. I don't know much about this parasite, if its lethal, if it goes away on its own or if its treatable. Any information would be helpful, thanks.

16774117392_fa5d90ac62_b.jpg
 
Hey guys, today i bought a pair of bumble bee shrimp and i noticed one has a parasite. I don't know much about this parasite, if its lethal, if it goes away on its own or if its treatable. Any information would be helpful, thanks.

16774117392_fa5d90ac62_b.jpg
also this is a photo i found online of the same parasite, not my actual specimen
 
I have never had this issue. Following to see if someone has solution, I feel like manual removal would be the only way but it’s to say
 
I have never had this issue. Following to see if someone has solution, I feel like manual removal would be the only way but it’s to say
I'd be a little worried to remove it manually on a bumble bee shrimp, they are just so small and fragile
 
I did a bit of digging and found out it is a parasitic isopod known as Bopyrid parasite Schizobopyrina bombyliaster. I don't think there's much i can do about it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 9.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new