Butterflyfish Bonanza!!

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to hear people's experience with keeping SPS tanks with butterflies. Which ones have been successful and SPS safe for you?
had several CBB in different tanks with sps and never a problem. Also had Longnose and no problem with SPS, however I suspected him of eating some acans but no proof. Also had a punctatos (not sure on the spelling) with only red planet acro and he never bothered it. The rest of that tank was birdsnest and softies and also no issues with those.

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long Nose Yellow Butterfly: One of my favorite fish....has personality. Sorry, not much of a photographer:

Long Nose Butterfly001.jpg
Long Nose Yellow Butterfly 002.JPG

But the funniest thing that happened to my guy was when I was having Tang issues, I hung a small mirror against the tank, hoping the Tangs would be distracted. Instead my Butterfly spent the whole time in front of the mirror showing his spiny dorsal fin, ready for battle. I had to eventually take the mirror down because he was spending the entire time in front of the mirror defending his territory.

Long Nose Butterfly 003.JPG

Never saw my guy picking on any corals, and in fact, I never knew I had an aiptasia problem until he passed from a tank crash.

I've been going back to your photographs, and I love your butterfly fish!! So cute, how he looks at himself in the mirror... But I am truly sorry about your tank crash. Although, what kind of corals did you have in your tank with your yellow long nose? Again, so sorry about the crash, but I was just wondering about the corals.

dblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 butterfly fish in a 90 gallon SPS dominated tank. My SPS consist of 1 inch frags all the way to show pieces that are 10 to 12 inch across. I have a Kline’s and Auriga butterfly that are happy and fat. The Kline’s nips at my Zoe’s but keeps them in check and since I introduced the Auriga my SPS have taken off like never before although he/she nips at the SPS here and there. Natures way of checks and balances. I keep a reactor of aptasia on my system and it keeps the butterfly’s interested in hunting for there natural food in the wild.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been going back to your photographs, and I love your butterfly fish!! So cute, how he looks at himself in the mirror... But I am truly sorry about your tank crash. Although, what kind of corals did you have in your tank with your yellow long nose? Again, so sorry about the crash, but I was just wondering about the corals.

It's an old mixed reef with SPS, LPS and softy colonies. I never noticed my guy nipping at anything....and no signs of any corals nipped.

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I haven't been on here in a while... life gets too crazy. But, a question? Golden Butterflies were mentioned in this thread a while ago, and of course, now I'm revisiting purchasing one. I would love to put an elegance coral in my 120, but I can't get over Golden Butterflies. I'm torn. Any suggestions? I was even thinking of ditching the whole coral idea and making my tank a fish only... then I could have a Golden Butterfly or two. But, anyways, I'm in a little predicament and not really sure which route I should take. Reef tank w/o Golden Butterfly or ditching corals I love the most and having a Golden Butterfly in there?

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Copperband. One of my favorites. Still will only eat black and blood worms and clams. I like Pearlscale’s. Tried two with no success. I think there pickier eaters than the Copperbands.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully kept three types in my tanks over the years. My #1 favorite is the Yellow Pyramids. they are Great reef safe fish but due to their behavior, they need a bigger tank. they are pacers and will swim in the most open areas of the tank. that said, they do not have the personality of the others. Secondly I have had a Copperband which can be a very rewarding fish. Initially they can be very hard to get to eat, but once eating, they are great fish. mine never bothered LPS, SPS or softies. I did not have a clam while I kept him. this fish can have great personality. Lastly, and my current friend is a yellow long nose. what a cool fish. Ours got sick shortly after we added him to the tank. he was removed and spent a month in QT. he got a bit skinny in there as I think they get alot of their nutrition hunting the tank. once back in the main tank, he has done xtremely well and has fattened up nicely. He is constantly perusing the zoanthids and polyps in our tank looking for tasty bites. he is very attentive and is a camera hog.

IMG_20181203_205554.jpg

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully kept three types in my tanks over the years. My #1 favorite is the Yellow Pyramids. they are Great reef safe fish but due to their behavior, they need a bigger tank. they are pacers and will swim in the most open areas of the tank. that said, they do not have the personality of the others. Secondly I have had a Copperband which can be a very rewarding fish. Initially they can be very hard to get to eat, but once eating, they are great fish. mine never bothered LPS, SPS or softies. I did not have a clam while I kept him. this fish can have great personality. Lastly, and my current friend is a yellow long nose. what a cool fish. Ours got sick shortly after we added him to the tank. he was removed and spent a month in QT. he got a bit skinny in there as I think they get alot of their nutrition hunting the tank. once back in the main tank, he has done xtremely well and has fattened up nicely. He is constantly perusing the zoanthids and polyps in our tank looking for tasty bites. he is very attentive and is a camera hog.

IMG_20181203_205554.jpg

Did the pyramids give you any reason to think they'd eat anthelia? I have a horrible outbreak and ready somewhere they may eat it. That leads to me next quest, how big of a tank would you recommend given their pacing behavior? I have a 6ft 150gal and feel it may be too small for a trio

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the pyramids give you any reason to think they'd eat anthelia? I have a horrible outbreak and ready somewhere they may eat it. That leads to me next quest, how big of a tank would you recommend given their pacing behavior? I have a 6ft 150gal and feel it may be too small for a trio

No. they are planktonivores and feed strictly within the water column. I have never witnessed them even swimming among my corals. all out in the open space of the tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I haven't been on here in a while... life gets too crazy. But, a question? Golden Butterflies were mentioned in this thread a while ago, and of course, now I'm revisiting purchasing one. I would love to put an elegance coral in my 120, but I can't get over Golden Butterflies. I'm torn. Any suggestions? I was even thinking of ditching the whole coral idea and making my tank a fish only... then I could have a Golden Butterfly or two. But, anyways, I'm in a little predicament and not really sure which route I should take. Reef tank w/o Golden Butterfly or ditching corals I love the most and having a Golden Butterfly in there?
It really comes down to what you would prefer or get more enjoyment from. My opinion, is few things are as elegent looking as a pr of semilarvatus butterflies.
I have successfully used zoster and pyramid butterflies to successfully eliminate xenia and anthellia in a few tanks.

A 6' 150g will be fine for a trio.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really comes down to what you would prefer or get more enjoyment from. My opinion, is few things are as elegent looking as a pr of semilarvatus butterflies.

I have successfully used zoster and pyramid butterflies to successfully eliminate xenia and anthellia in a few tanks.

A 6' 150g will be fine for a trio.
Would you say one is more likely to eat anthelia than the other? I have quite a big fish load in my 6ft 150gal including the following;
A good size hippo tang
Large yellow tang (hes a jerk to new fish)
Pair of pictillis anthias
Goldflake angel
Achilles tabg
Borbonius anthias pair
And on the way next weekend is a small mustard tang and powder blue tang

Would you suggest I not add them or see it may be ok? Anthelia has taken over just about 3/4 of my tank which was all high end sps for the most part (until my small flame angels decimated everything)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say one is more likely to eat anthelia than the other? I have quite a big fish load in my 6ft 150gal including the following;
A good size hippo tang
Large yellow tang (hes a jerk to new fish)
Pair of pictillis anthias
Goldflake angel
Achilles tabg
Borbonius anthias pair
And on the way next weekend is a small mustard tang and powder blue tang

Would you suggest I not add them or see it may be ok? Anthelia has taken over just about 3/4 of my tank which was all high end sps for the most part (until my small flame angels decimated everything)
Either species should go after it.

Use an acclimation box to introduce, so aggression has time to subside.

gman107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding a pencil urchin to clean up Xenia mine just took out the two stalks i was trying to keep lol!!

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, but I'm so stuck. I couldn't have any softies or LPS in there with the Golden Butterflies, correct? It's such a gamble and I don't want my corals nor my butterflies be in harms way... what do you say?? I think I should give the Golden Butterflies a shot.... :)

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my semilarvatus pair:

Sadly the small one died out of the blue after 6 months. Was fine one day, next day dead. Do they use cyanide in the Red Sea region? Anyhow, loved the pair so much I now have another semilarvatus in QT to replace him.

Anyways, when I tried introducing a small hammer frag, the two semilarvatus went to town on it. All other non-reef safe fish left it alone. I wasn't sure if they were nipping at it out of curiosity, so I pulled it out after a day or so. I reintroduced it a day later and same result. Also when I put an urchin in there, they pretty much killed it. Again, all my other non-reef safe fish left the urchin alone. They are definitely not reef safe.

Last edited:
Back