Butterflyfish Bonanza!!

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And....I have a question.... does anyone have experience with Golden Butterflies?? I went to my LFS today and they said that if I were to want one, it would take a lot of time because they are hard to come by. Can anyone give me some more information?
I have one that finished QT and eating frozen mysis, black worms, and Rods food. I put him in my frag tank to test him out and he just picks too much for my liking. He didn't cause any damage to the acro polyps but would destroy any LPS and zoas if you have some in the display tank. Just keep that in mind of you are looking for one.

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that finished QT and eating frozen mysis, black worms, and Rods food. I put him in my frag tank to test him out and he just picks too much for my liking. He didn't cause any damage to the acro polyps but would destroy any LPS and zoas if you have some in the display tank. Just keep that in mind of you are looking for one.

I'm thinking of putting SPS and softies in my tank, would that be okay?? If not, what would you put in there, if anything??

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my copperband. Took about a week trying everything under the sun to get him to eat. Eventually ate live black worms now eats anything

20171231_094749.jpg

Beautiful copperband!! Keep the pictures coming!

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will usually be some slight identification characteristics that you can use to determine that you have the right fish. Work with a good LFS! We import all of our own fish and deal directly with divers. I can literally call my Hawaiian divers on their cell phones. :) You have some good options near you in CT. Greenwich Aquaria I have heard really good things about. If it is not too far for you go see my buddy Scott at OSA in Coventry, RI. He will take great care of you! Or if you are ever in the neighborhood come see us up at Aquatic Creations in Amherst, NH.

I will!!! That's so cool that you can directly connect with your divers! I'm always on the search for good fish stores in the area!! I'm in NH quite often, actually, and RI and Greenwich isn't that far of a drive... Thanks so much!!

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gorgeous Semilarvatus that has been in our QT system since September 19th available. We also have a Red Sea painted butterfly that came in on the same day.

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will!!! That's so cool that you can directly connect with your divers! I'm always on the search for good fish stores in the area!! I'm in NH quite often, actually, and RI and Greenwich isn't that far of a drive... Thanks so much!!
No problem. Hope to meet you sometime soon in the shop or at a trade show sometime. If you haven't already heard about it Scott is organizing the "Keep on Reefing" show in CT this coming April.

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooo..... okay then..... Thanks! Do you normally have them in?? And for how much?? :)

I am so truly grateful to everyone here, thank you so much, you've all been so nice.

Last edited:

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, then... so SPS are still a go though??? What about LPS?
Depends on the fish but he'll probably pick at the SPS, just have enough so he spreads out the picking. I'd trust the fish less with LPS than with softies honestly.

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooo..... okay then..... Thanks! Do you normally have them in?? And for how much?? :)

I am so truly grateful to everyone here, thank you so much, you've all been so nice.
We usually keep just one in stock at a time since they are kinda pricey and not considered a very reef safe fish. The one I have in stock now is going for $299.00 and is about 4-5"

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long Nose Yellow Butterfly: One of my favorite fish....has personality. Sorry, not much of a photographer:

Long Nose Butterfly001.jpg
Long Nose Yellow Butterfly 002.JPG

But the funniest thing that happened to my guy was when I was having Tang issues, I hung a small mirror against the tank, hoping the Tangs would be distracted. Instead my Butterfly spent the whole time in front of the mirror showing his spiny dorsal fin, ready for battle. I had to eventually take the mirror down because he was spending the entire time in front of the mirror defending his territory.

Long Nose Butterfly 003.JPG

Never saw my guy picking on any corals, and in fact, I never knew I had an aiptasia problem until he passed from a tank crash.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I wanted to get your opinion on Mitratus Butterflies. I want a butterfly fish that's pretty reef safe, with a good personality, and I came across Mitratus Butterflies. From the research I've done, and from the people I've spoken to, they seem fairly reef safe. Actually, NY Aquatic website put it as the "holy grail of reef safe butterflies..." So, what do you think???

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I wanted to get your opinion on Mitratus Butterflies. I want a butterfly fish that's pretty reef safe, with a good personality, and I came across Mitratus Butterflies. From the research I've done, and from the people I've spoken to, they seem fairly reef safe. Actually, NY Aquatic website put it as the "holy grail of reef safe butterflies..." So, what do you think???

I have not had any personal experience with them but a buddy of mine has one. He ate all of the worms off the rock, along with some feather dusters and film algae. He is pretty reef safe past that. He loves munching on live foods but accepts frozen. Definitely a good model citizen if you can get ahold of one.

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!!! Especially since I’m new to the saltwater part of the hobby it’s so hard finding the “perfect” fish, one that you like plus one that is suitable. I think I’ve found it, and I appreciate the feedback!![emoji846]

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
They can also pick at acans, dendos, duncans, and scolys.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back