Butterflyfish Bonanza!!

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by FishFinatic ;), Dec 29, 2017.

1. FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;) Member

Hi Guys, I was reading the Angel Lovers thread and someone suggested a butterfly fish thread, so I though I'd make that a reality!!! So if you love butterfly fish, here's the place to talk about them... And yep, you guessed it, here's the place to talk about butterflies, ask any questions you have, and show off those beautiful tanks!!! :)

4FordFamily and Zack K like this.
    Tags:

2. saltyhog

saltyhog Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2018

I would really like to hear people's experience with keeping SPS tanks with butterflies. Which ones have been successful and SPS safe for you?

FishFinatic ;) likes this.
  3. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

I’d just like to see some beautiful butterflies! I don’t have any currently, unfortunately!

drawman and FishFinatic ;) like this.
  4. slosoak

slosoak Member Partner Member 2018

Long nose butterfly, one of the best fish to keep

FishFinatic ;) and Steven91 like this.
  5. FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;) Member

To be honest, I have barely just started setting up my tank, but I would LOVE some butterflies in there once it's ready!!!

6. FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;) Member

And....I have a question.... does anyone have experience with Golden Butterflies?? I went to my LFS today and they said that if I were to want one, it would take a lot of time because they are hard to come by. Can anyone give me some more information?

7. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

They are a large Red Sea endemic species. Quite peaceful, can be kept in prs. Can be kept in sps dominant reefs.

NY Aquatic regularly has them in stock.

8. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Member

I have a Pyramid Butterfly in my mixed reef. Does not pick on coral.

9. Steven91

Steven91 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I have a beautiful Long Nose, so much personality

slosoak and FishFinatic ;) like this.
  10. FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;) Member

How much do they generally cost at NY Aquatic? And whatever the price is, would you say it's a good price?

11. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

I don't remember offhand, but most of their prices are pretty good.

12. larangcon

larangcon Valuable Member

I myself have never had a butterfly in any of my tank because I heard of difficulties in feeding and picking on corals, but would love to keep a golden butterfly in my reef tank. I can't wait to see pictures of butterflies with SPS.

Zack K and FishFinatic ;) like this.
  13. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I have kept, a Longnose butterfly and a Saddleback butterfly in a reef and never had problems with compatibility. I have found though that butterfly fish, especially the smaller ones, are very picky eaters. It took my longnose almost a month to transition from Live Blackworms to frozen LRS, and the saddleback it took 2 weeks to eat Anything but Live BBS. I finally had him eating Live blackworms after a month or so and another 2-3 weeks for Frozen LRS. So after 7 weeks he went into the DT and wouldn’t eat. He did eat all of my spaghetti worms and sand worms though. He shortly passed away.
    Butterfly fish do like to swim, they are constantly swimming, wether it be in the open water Column or hovering and searching the rocks, they like lots of space.

larangcon and FishFinatic ;) like this.
  14. Myk

Myk Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com Platinum Sponsor

Has anyone mentioned Heniochus or Kleini? Both good reef candidates and super hardy.

slosoak, FishFinatic ;) and Zack K like this.
  15. FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;) Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. That is very interesting though, about the feeding. I'm thinking of getting a Golden Butterfly for my 120 when it gets set up, they, like all butterfly fish, are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing that, it must have been hard to lose your butterflies.

16. FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;) Member

Those are beautiful fish!! Are they really reef safe though?? I heard somewhere that they aren't necessarily reef safe. Do you know what they eat?

Zack K likes this.
  17. Myk

You will want the H. diphruetes (spelling) safe bet if you get them from Hawaii as they can be a little tricky telling the difference from H. acuminatus. I have had good luck with the Kleini in the past and had actually kinda forgot about them for reef tanks until I read an article in the most recent TFH magazine. Yes, I still have a magazine subscription. :)

18. FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;) Member

Thanks for the info!! It honestly seems like there's so many fish in the saltwater aspect of the hobby that look alike but have completely different personalities. How do you control where the fish you get comes from, though??? That's always confused me...

Zack K likes this.
  19. Myk

There will usually be some slight identification characteristics that you can use to determine that you have the right fish. Work with a good LFS! We import all of our own fish and deal directly with divers. I can literally call my Hawaiian divers on their cell phones. :) You have some good options near you in CT. Greenwich Aquaria I have heard really good things about. If it is not too far for you go see my buddy Scott at OSA in Coventry, RI. He will take great care of you! Or if you are ever in the neighborhood come see us up at Aquatic Creations in Amherst, NH.

dricc and FishFinatic ;) like this.
  20. Kmsutows

Kmsutows Well-Known Member

Here's my copperband. Took about a week trying everything under the sun to get him to eat. Eventually ate live black worms now eats anything

20171231_094749.jpg

dricc, Zack K, saltyhog and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted