Buying Reef Fish in Hawaii

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha!
giphy.gif

you're in Hawaii, you have the biggest aquarium surrounding you. get some scuba gear and go diving! ;)

if i lived on the big island, I would go to the Seahorse Farm in Kona to get some seahorses

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed so many people do not know how anti aquarium Hawaii is and in particular anti reef aquarium.
What's the deal with Hawaiian yellow tangs? Are they just originally from there but now captivity raised? Can't see hawaii allowing them to be picked out of the local reefs and shipped to the mainland

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@John08007, their populations are diminishing. I'm glad they are able to captive breed them because there are certain areas that you used to see patches of yellow due to the schools there. I went to a cove on the Big Island where that is still a thing but I would be devastated if that were to change. There was a recent bust for illegal collection that was announced on the local news in Hawaii.

Last edited:

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DebFerreira read the below, it's a whole lot of no's

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@andrewkw, Right?! It's because of the invasive species that have devastated the islands. On land you have a rat infestation that was attempted to be cured with mongoose.... Both animals are awake at different time frames so now you have 2 pests. Then add the illegal smuggling of reptiles and amphibians, our neighbors found poison dart frogs in their yard. There's a herd of wallaby's in the Mililani area from someones private zoo that got loose. God forbid you mention snakes, the list goes on..... Then add that there are invasive Groupers that not only eat everything but are toxic to eat. And then add that Hawaii's main means of income is tourism which includes seeing their natural resources.

That being said, guess who's mind was blown when they saw Ocellaris Clowns in the Petco in Hawaii Kai?... No risk in a species that can change sex based on dominance...

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@John08007, their populations are diminishing. I'm glad they are able to captive breed them because there are certain areas that you used to see patches of yellow due to the schools there. I went to a cove on the Big Island where that is still a thing but I would be devastated if that were to change. There was a recent bust for illegal collection that was announced on the local news in Hawaii.
25yrs ago I was at hanumana Bay on Oahu. From what I remember there were a lot of yellow tangs, believe other tangs also. Don't think they would be there anymore?

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do remember seeing public service announcements on TV about not letting your fish go into streams and the ocean. Lionfish a problem there? FL also has a problem with pythons, think they escaped during a hurricane years ago, they have no natural predators.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@John08007, Hanauma is a protected reef so they are there but not near the numbers I saw on the Big Island, having a block on what bay that was I dove though. If I were still on island I'd be dying to get to Hanauma to see the changes no human contact for the past 8 months has caused. Our house is a 10 minute drive from there and we dive there every weekend, past the reef to avoid the tourists haha

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DebFerreira, if youre feeling the need to grow coral I'd look at partnering with UH Hilo. UH has been doing a lot of research on growing the reef, I'm absolutely planning on doing that when we move back. Granted it's still out in the ocean, but I would have a big deal of pride seeing a colony growing because of my efforts.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@John08007, Hanauma is a protected reef so they are there but not near the numbers I saw on the Big Island, having a block on what bay that was I dove though. If I were still on island I'd be dying to get to Hanauma to see the changes no human contact for the past 8 months has caused. Our house is a 10 minute drive from there and we dive there every weekend, past the reef to avoid the tourists haha
How deep does it get just past the reef where the waves are breaking? Is the reef like a wall on the other side from where the tourists are? From what I remember way out in the center near the ocean its around 100' down

Last edited:

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would so love to dive anywhere in Hawaii. I haven’t been in the ocean since a softball accident in 2011.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DebFerreira read the below, it's a whole lot of no's

Interesting they explicitly put Corallimorpharia in Scleractinia, unlike Science. Is this a case where lawyers know just enough Science to get it wrong? Or there a good reason for this?

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@John08007, yeah past the main break there's an exit point on the right side. We just follow the cables that run out there. As long as you stay in the cove it doesn't get to 100 ft, I'd say on average 30-40 ft. I have done scuba there and free dive there as well.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
1.gif

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha from the Big Island,
I am in the process of setting up my first reef tank. Many years ago I had a fish only saltwater tank. Currently, I am in the gathering of equipment, sand, rock, etc. stage. This is turning into a surprisingly challenging task. The only LFS stores on this island that carry marine supplies are Petco which means that offerings are limited to a couple of shelves of supplies and a few fish-only tanks. However, most supplies can be found from mainland stores as long as you are willing to pay for the shipping (this is a common hazard of living in the middle of the ocean). However, I am struggling to find a source for fish, corals, and clean-up crew. There are a few places that actually produce the above locally, but they do not sell in Hawaii for various reasons. So, I could really use some suggestions on reliable merchants that would ship to Hawaii.
Thanks!

Hello from oahu, it is actually illegal on the islands to collect, buy, sell, and ship corals, natural live rock, live inverts, and live copepods to Hawaii. And starting in the new year it will be illegal to catch, buy, or sell native hawaiian fish and any fish surrounding the islands. Because of this we are limited to FOWLR systems, and fish prices are going to rise on the islands. The live rock has to start dry or be aquacultured by a licensed person. You can not take any natural live rock from the ocean. It makes marine tanks difficult but not impossible, I have a 75 gallon tank with multiple Hawaii native fish from before the ban as well as a mandarin goby, blue spot goby, scooter blenny, 2 pairs of clowns and a flame angel. all my live rock started as dry rock its important to read the laws for the islands because people with ship things here and some people get away with it, others are confiscated and people fined during random checks.

HawaiiTanks808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the deal with Hawaiian yellow tangs? Are they just originally from there but now captivity raised? Can't see hawaii allowing them to be picked out of the local reefs and shipped to the mainland
Starting in the new year it with be illegal to catch, ship, collect, buy, and sell native hawaiian fish and any fish surrounding the islands. So it will become impossible to get any hawaiian fish unless they are captive bred

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back