Anyone else live in Hawaii?

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha!
Anyone else live in Hawaii? Please introduce yourself. Which island are you from? Would love to meet other local hobbyists in the area.

I'm local to oahu. Started off with one 55 gallon tank and it quickly escalated to "too many" . I love creating custom live rockscapes, learning to breed tangs/clowns and obsessed with any new reef knowledge I can learn about.

I know a majority of local hobbyist don't like to share photos or info on their reef tanks, for obvious reasons, and are very discreet, so you don't have to mention what you have if you don't want to. However, if you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear your story, see what you have (either here or privately) and see if anyone is possibly open to trades

Mahalo

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Aloha!
Anyone else live in Hawaii? Please introduce yourself. Which island are you from? Would love to meet other local hobbyists in the area.

I'm local to oahu. Started off with one 55 gallon tank and it quickly escalated to "too many" . I love creating custom live rockscapes, learning to breed tangs/clowns and obsessed with any new reef knowledge I can learn about.

I know a majority of local hobbyist don't like to share photos or info on their reef tanks, for obvious reasons, and are very discreet, so you don't have to mention what you have if you don't want to. However, if you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear your story, see what you have (either here or privately) and see if anyone is possibly open to trades

Mahalo
Welcome aboard. I hadn't heard thar Hawaiian hobbyists don't like sharing pics of their tanks, any particular reason why? I think most people on R2R love sharing their tanks and their success in the hobby with photos.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
B342185A-0DFD-4CC8-9E18-326907F9410F.gif

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha!

Mahalo
Not from Hawaii but I did adopt a 10 year old female clownfish that was surrendered to the LFS since her previous owner was moving to Hawaii. He told the store he couldnt have a reef there at all. The store owner said that when he went to move he found only a few fish the state lets people keep. So I was curious when you said you were working on breeding tangs and clowns? The store owner said both were not allowed to be kept in reefs??? Super curious about that! Would love to visit hawaii sometime though :)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard. I hadn't heard thar Hawaiian hobbyists don't like sharing pics of their tanks, any particular reason why? I think most people on R2R love sharing their tanks and their success in the hobby with photos.
Having a marine tank in Hawaii from what I gather is complicated and mostly illegal. They are pretty strict on the invasive species aspect of it. I think you can collect fish for personal use (you personally have to collect it, you can not buy it, I think that extends to non residents also) But collecting corals are a no no, and since no imported corals are allowed there are no reef tanks. I do not live in Hawaii so I may have gotten some of this wrong. That being said, I would not live there because of this. I do like to visit though!

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha!

Mahalo
Curious why they wouldn't want to show off the tanks? Is it looked down among on the island?

Attachments

• Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 15

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the people asking about the secrecy, here's why.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why they wouldn't want to show off the tanks? Is it looked down among on the island?
Just illegal if you have corals in your tank. At most people can have locally caught zoas, but personally I wouldn’t chance it either way. Better to draw less attention to yourself, but if you must, then only trust friends and family. In terms of LFS there’s only like one on island that deals with salt water, and the selection can be a little limited so you’re better off collecting your own.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with zoas, you have to take extreme caution to not take any rock with it as the rock is illegal. So if and when you do collect, it’s gotta be the zoa only. Fines can be pretty hefty too, we don’t joke around with wildlife here

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef.
I can understand why Hawaii has those laws. BUT there has to be a way around it if you order from a aqua culturing store that grows in-house? From what I read in the article @Tahiti posted, it just talks about taking from the ocean. If you can prove you bought from a store that cultivates rock and corals. What do you all think?

Welcome!!!
f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just illegal if you have corals in your tank. At most people can have locally caught zoas, but personally I wouldn’t chance it either way. Better to draw less attention to yourself, but if you must, then only trust friends and family. In terms of LFS there’s only like one on island that deals with salt water, and the selection can be a little limited so you’re better off collecting your own.
Crazy, I didn't know there were any states that actually outlaw cotals. I knew that you can't collect them in the wild for the most part, but didn't know that they got rid of aquaculture too.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy, I didn't know there were any states that actually outlaw cotals. I knew that you can't collect them in the wild for the most part, but didn't know that they got rid of aquaculture too.
It's to ensure invasive corals/organisms are kept from entering the ocean by irresponsible owners and outcompeting the native species. I think the same goes for inverts as well actually.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back