Anyone else live in Hawaii?

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our little piece of the reef.
I can understand why Hawaii has those laws. BUT there has to be a way around it if you order from a aqua culturing store that grows in-house? From what I read in the article @Tahiti posted, it just talks about taking from the ocean. If you can prove you bought from a store that cultivates rock and corals. What do you all think?

Welcome!!!
f127426c616cd57d67c79dfda815c596.gif
You won't find a store on island that will sell corals since it's illegal to sell them as well, aquacultured or not.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't find a store on island that will sell corals since it's illegal to sell them as well, aquacultured or not.
So why is it illegal to sell corals in Hawaii? An evasive species thing or?
Also, what if they were to buy from a store in California and have it shipped to them? same concept?

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what if they were to buy from a store in California and have it shipped to them? same concept?
Yeah, we don't wanna upset the ecosystem.

You can't buy/sell/own pretty much any coral in Hawaii, even if you bought it from another state. It won't be allowed to be shipped or just confiscated and you'd be fined.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pretty good at monitoring what goes in and out of Hawaii. So no corals can enter there, and illegal to collect. Leaves them with- no corals

OP
OP
AlohaJacklyn

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not from Hawaii but I did adopt a 10 year old female clownfish that was surrendered to the LFS since her previous owner was moving to Hawaii. He told the store he couldnt have a reef there at all. The store owner said that when he went to move he found only a few fish the state lets people keep. So I was curious when you said you were working on breeding tangs and clowns? The store owner said both were not allowed to be kept in reefs??? Super curious about that! Would love to visit hawaii sometime though :)
We are allowed to have them and our LFS sells clowns too so maybe he misunderstood. They don't allow you to buy tangs now. I have a ton that was before the ban. But yes, we are no longer allowed reef tanks

OP
OP
AlohaJacklyn

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a marine tank in Hawaii from what I gather is complicated and mostly illegal. They are pretty strict on the invasive species aspect of it. I think you can collect fish for personal use (you personally have to collect it, you can not buy it, I think that extends to non residents also) But collecting corals are a no no, and since no imported corals are allowed there are no reef tanks. I do not live in Hawaii so I may have gotten some of this wrong. That being said, I would not live there because of this. I do like to visit though!
We definitely don't go collect corals but some of us have corals from before the ban so everyone keeps their collection private now

OP
OP
AlohaJacklyn

AlohaJacklyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard. I hadn't heard thar Hawaiian hobbyists don't like sharing pics of their tanks, any particular reason why? I think most people on R2R love sharing their tanks and their success in the hobby with photos.
We aren't legally allowed to have corals... or most fish now because of the ban but we've had them before the ban and I doubt anyone wants to just dispose of their corals now that it's illegal so it's best to just keep them private. We just value them even more now, especially since they are impossible to replace.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are allowed to have them and our LFS sells clowns too so maybe he misunderstood. They don't allow you to buy tangs now. I have a ton that was before the ban. But yes, we are no longer allowed reef tanks
Dang! Well Im glad I got her, shes a beautiful clown! The white one is her male I paired her with. Shes 10 and has the cutest face ever!

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpeg
    IMG_2818.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2817.jpeg
    IMG_2817.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2583.jpeg
    IMG_2583.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 20

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad I missed out on their Molokai Live rock when they used to have it stocked. I'm assuming you're talking about Coral Fish in Waimalu since that's like the only place on island that does saltwater LOL

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back