C. Acanthops: Reef Compatibility and Temperament?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a bit on the fence when it comes to getting a dwarf angel (C. Acanthops) or getting a pair of Azure Damsels. How does the African Flameback measure in terms of reef safety and temperament? This is concerning its tankmates like Yellow Watchman Gobies, Pajama Cardinals, Ocellaris Clowns, and a Royal Gramma. Is this dwarf angel more aggressive than the more peaceful Chrysiptera damsels? Will it nip at soft and stony corals?

If I get a dwarf angel it will be from the Argi Complex as my tank will only be 3’ long, not enough room for the 4-5” dwarf angels like the Coral Beauty, Flame etc. I’ve thought about a Coral Beauty but all the ones in my place are wild caught with all of them caught from the Philippines and Indonesia so cyanide’s also a big concern of mine.

This angel vs second damsel decision will be the final one I’ll have to make for my fish stocking list.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the angels, damsels have always become aggressive for me. If you keep your angel well fed I don’t think it will feel any need to pick at your corals for food, I feed my cherub a mix of frozen foods and veggie pellets. My past flamebacks have never hurt anything and I feed 1-2x per day (depending on how hard they beg me when I get home/if they’re looking hungry). My angels have never bothered anybody except for other dwarf angels, although I have had success with a bicolor and a flame together (very different body shapes and color). My cherub actually bonded with my female clown and my male clown got kicked to the curb, poor guy. I’d say go for the angel!!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh nice! How long did you have your Flameback for? How big were they when you got them?
They were about 1” and I had it for several years, at least 5. I sold it when I broke down that tank but it was an amazing fish! Are right out of my hand. I’m actually going to get another one for my new build very soon. I was deciding between the FB and the flame but even though I really want the flame I know my tank is a little too small for it long term (45 gallons). Never had a problem with coral and it was very friendly towards my other fish!! Paired up with my yellow tang, they always swam around together

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s lovely! I’m definitely going to get Tang he angel! I love the Flame too but ever since the coronavirus became serious in the US we’ve basically been getting no shipments as even though most of them are caught in the Marshall Islands I believe they’re processed through the States (could be wrong though). I wouldn’t put a Flame in anything less than a 75-gallon, a 4 foot tank.

Hope you can find another Flameback! Are they difficult to find where you are?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very difficult to find, I can order one easily through my LFS, they are kind of expensive though usually about $70

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a bit on the fence when it comes to getting a dwarf angel (C. Acanthops) or getting a pair of Azure Damsels. How does the African Flameback measure in terms of reef safety and temperament? This is concerning its tankmates like Yellow Watchman Gobies, Pajama Cardinals, Ocellaris Clowns, and a Royal Gramma. Is this dwarf angel more aggressive than the more peaceful Chrysiptera damsels? Will it nip at soft and stony corals?

If I get a dwarf angel it will be from the Argi Complex as my tank will only be 3’ long, not enough room for the 4-5” dwarf angels like the Coral Beauty, Flame etc. I’ve thought about a Coral Beauty but all the ones in my place are wild caught with all of them caught from the Philippines and Indonesia so cyanide’s also a big concern of mine.

This angel vs second damsel decision will be the final one I’ll have to make for my fish stocking list.
I've had mixed results with them with coral. Some were fine, some nipped.

Most werent too aggressive, though I had one one that would corral a group of blue eye cardinals it was in with.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
African Flameback are easy to ID sex. Just make sure you put the one male only, and he need to be the largest fish. If he is smaller than any female, she will beat him up.

Back