CAD Lights Pls-50 elite nano II , anyone using it?

largepolyp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nuvo fusion 40 , I'm in the process of buying equipment to set it up and was looking at this skimmer. I havent found much feedback on it and the little bit i have didnt seem to be impartial. Just lookin for some real world feedback. TIA

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone raved about it when it came out, and then it all went quiet. Not sure why. You dont see many of them around these days. I think there is a version 2 now, but not much about it online.

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get anywhere with this skimmer? I'm in the same boat, want to try it out but nothing is available on it.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one on a CadLights AIO awhile back. It worked well, but I sort of hated it.

It performed well. The problem is dialing it in and every other time you clean the skimmer cup, you'll may have to dial it back in.

You turn the tube to adjust the water height, then tighten the screw to lock it into place. The act of tightening the screw adjusted the water height, so you'd start over. The screw eventually broke on me. It took me awhile to realize it only sits in the water ~5 - 5.25 inches, which means it sits way out of my tank and was an eyesore. Most hang-on skimmers are challenging, so I don't know if it's worse than others. I researched replacing it and there didn't seem to be a clear winner. It came with the tank, otherwise I might have tried the Tunze instead.

EDIT: CadLights has a pretty horrible reputation, so that colored me. I was happy to move off their AIO into a Reefer.

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one on a CadLights AIO awhile back. It worked well, but I sort of hated it.

It performed well. The problem is dialing it in and every other time you clean the skimmer cup, you'll may have to dial it back in.

You turn the tube to adjust the water height, then tighten the screw to lock it into place. The act of tightening the screw adjusted the water height, so you'd start over. The screw eventually broke on me. It took me awhile to realize it only sits in the water ~5 - 5.25 inches, which means it sits way out of my tank and was an eyesore. Most hang-on skimmers are challenging, so I don't know if it's worse than others. I researched replacing it and there didn't seem to be a clear winner. It came with the tank, otherwise I might have tried the Tunze instead.

EDIT: CadLights has a pretty horrible reputation, so that colored me. I was happy to move off their AIO into a Reefer.

Thanks for the info, The Tunze 9004 is kind of a pain in my case. Just not the ideal set up for it in my aio. I may have to just get a smaller skimmer. Maybe the 9001 or the Aquamaxx NF-1

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put it in my JBJ 45. Fits really well. A high quality piece. My tank is only 4 months old so not getting a ton of gunk yet.

js1620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nuvo fusion 40 , I'm in the process of buying equipment to set it up and was looking at this skimmer. I havent found much feedback on it and the little bit i have didnt seem to be impartial. Just lookin for some real world feedback. TIA
I have it and think its the best one for the Nuvo 40. Although I'm still learning how to tune it.
Ive had the Ghost and a Tunze, but they don't compare to the new pls 50
fa5d4738714904adfa68a489c0aed537.jpg
eb4e7eaec487baa147995b2ec25398f2.jpg

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it and think its the best one for the Nuvo 40. Although I'm still learning how to tune it.
Ive had the Ghost and a Tunze, but they don't compare to the new pls 50
fa5d4738714904adfa68a489c0aed537.jpg
eb4e7eaec487baa147995b2ec25398f2.jpg
Does that skimmer actually fit in the skimmer chamber? Looks like you have it in the second chamber from the right ?

js1620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that skimmer actually fit in the skimmer chamber? Looks like you have it in the second chamber from the right ?
Yes, the one closer to the middle. I don't think a chamber is designed for a skimmer because i hear a lot of other people putting their skimmer in the first chambers where the water overflows in. I guess it's all preference but I want my mechanical (foam) filter as the first step in my sump to catch all the larger particles before skimming and going through my pump.

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My CAD Light Elite II skimmer began making a ton of noise recently. I've contacted the company and they have been responsive. We have yet to solve the problem, however. I took the pump apart and found nothing broken. However, the impeller is very wobbly and slides back and forth on the shaft. The company claims the pump is under warranty if it fails completely, but not otherwise. A new pump is $40. I installed it in October 2018. If I have to replace the pump every 6 months, I'll have to find a more reliable skimmer.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My CAD Light Elite II skimmer began making a ton of noise recently. I've contacted the company and they have been responsive. We have yet to solve the problem, however. I took the pump apart and found nothing broken. However, the impeller is very wobbly and slides back and forth on the shaft. The company claims the pump is under warranty if it fails completely, but not otherwise. A new pump is $40. I installed it in October 2018. If I have to replace the pump every 6 months, I'll have to find a more reliable skimmer.

I have one and its been overflowing. I tried to take the pump apart but couldn’t figure out how. How did you get it apart?

basement reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for a year or so.

Only complaint was it hard to clean the main body from time to time.

When I built my new system, I threw it in the garbage rather then clean it one more time to keep as a spare. Life is too short.

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine also overflowed. I found that opening the bottom to allow as much water into the skimmer as possible calmed it down.
To open the pump rotate the white inlet and then use a pair of pliers to squeeze the side. I cracked mine but i don’t think it will matter. I tried to use a flat head screwdriver but just couldn’t pry it open.
Regarding the challenge of cleaning it —- I’ve never had an issue. Frankly I find it very easy to clean. I use a baby bottle brush when needed.
Hope this helps.

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: After talking (emailing) the folks at CAD Light -- they have decided to replace the pump free of charge. They have been very helpful and customer focused. My personal experience is that the equipment is of high quality and the customer service is first class. What else can I ask for?
Incidentally -- as a past research professional, I came across a study on how to enhance customer loyalty. You may think having NO problems (ever) will build and strengthen customer loyalty -- the article found that when companies "exceed" customer expectations -- AFTER -- an issue -- customer loyalty is strengthened even beyond that of customers who never had a problem.

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 8/19/2019: The pump is sounding like a buzz saw again. I've contacted CAD Light -- no reply so far. It looks like this skimmer is not going to work out after all. I love the design -- but the pump is pure garbage and I don't know where to find a suitable replacement -- other than going through CAD Light. I can't keep going back to CAD Light for a new pump every 6 months.
Is it necessary to have an air tube for the pump? I'm assuming that's how it generates the micro bubbles and creates the skimming effect. If I could get away without the air supply -- I'm sure I could find a pump.

Leesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump gave up on my today and I can’t find a replacement pump on their website.. where did you get yours from if you don’t mind me asking?

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your pump. I played with mine enough to get it working again. I never did hear from the company.
I’m very disappointed in their customer service. It will be hard for them to stay in business with no concern for the customer after the sale.
Frankly I don’t know where to find another pump that works with this setup.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back