CADE 1200 Peninsula 20 years in the making

canjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this is my first reef tank. I don't have a catchy name for it yet. This is something I've been thinking about doing for 20 years or so, having bought books about reef tanks, before the days of high speed internet. I came very close to pulling the trigger several times. I have been moving across state lines every few years my entire adult life, which was one of the many reasons I never set up a tank. I'm the type that wants to do it really well, or not at all. So I've basically gone all-in on a CADE. The decision to go with CADE I feel has already paid off, as I received some non-standard plumbing with the tank, I made a confused post about it to the FB group, and Adam from CADE has already reached out along with @AlgaeBarn. I don't have the solution in-hand yet, but the response from Adam is certainly a very positive sign.

Priorities: Quiet, minimal light spillage, good automation, end-on peninsula view will be a priority (trying to keep zero equipment mounted on that end pane), planning LPS/softies mostly, may venture into SPS eventually

Categories in bold below have yet to be purchased/finalized/completed

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_0185.jpg

Tank: CADE 1200 S2/P Peninsula (47"x27.5"x24")
Sump: included CADE sump
Stand: included CADE stand, black fit my decor the best, but the new white color sure does look great in the right situation
Lighting: ?? I'm thinking ReeFi Uno 2 Pro x 2 with the 90 degree reeflectors to minimize light spillage; floating mount with extruded aluminum (I've posted questions about this in the DIY forum)
Control/monitoring: Hydros
Flow: Maxspect XF350 gyres x 2 directly controlled by Hydros WaveEngine, I plan to mount these vertically on each side of the weir; VCA RFGs on the returns, no additional powerheads yet, but I anticipate that I'll have to add one or two to the weir box side of the tank, would prioritize controllability with Hydros WaveEngine
Mechanical Filtration: Clarisea SK-3000 gen. 3; going to have to modify the sump to accommodate this, will be removing socks
Skimmer: DALUA GW-7
Return: DALUA GW 1500gph
ATO: Undecided, might just go with the Hydros ATO package setup to keep things streamlined in the Hydros ecosystem

Rock: I wanted to take my time on the aquascape, so I went dry rock, but I don't care for the sterile look of something like Marco. After watching a Reefbuilders video with Jake Adams talking about dry rock that looks like live rock, I went with Tropic Eden Morocca from @premiumaquatics . I have to say that PremiumAquatics did a fantastic job of packaging the rock. I got some where around 80 pounds of rock (WAYYYY too much I'm afraid), and there was NO breakage at all. I think I am going to add a few small pieces of live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater when I cycle just to diversify the microbiome. Oh, I actually need to complete the aquascape, I've already done about 53 iterations in the last 2 days. This has been a struggle, I'm looking for inspiration from other peninsula tanks.

Livestock: As mentioned above LPS and softies, maybe SPS in the future. I don't really have any particular holy grail fish. I would tend to prioritize fish that have a 'job' in the aquarium, such as a Bristletooth tang. I do want at least a couple wrasses. Have always thought a pistol shrimp/goby pair would be cool, but I'm afraid might get 'lost' in a large tank, almost feel like these guys deserve their own nano tank where they can be the main characters.

I guess that's it for now. I'm always open to advice, recommendations, etc. IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0187.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for sharing this, it's always lovely to see another Cade! And what a placement for this, couldn't have been any other tank! :star-struck:

OP
OP
C

canjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The story behind going with a peninsula over a standard 3 or 4 foot reef tank…took my wife to the LFS to show her various tanks, their main showpiece tank is a 5 foot Red Sea peninsula right at their front door. She came home and started brainstorming about where a peninsula tank would go. In other words…we WERE getting a peninsula it was just a question of how to pull it off.

The laser etched CADE logo is even cooler than I had imagined. If I have one knock against the tank so far, it’s the sump which doesn’t readily accommodate a fleece roller without modification. Apparently there is a design change in the pipeline which addresses this shortfall.

IMG_0254.jpeg

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of Reefi Uno 1s available. Nothing wrong with them. I just went to Radions because I couldn’t figure out how to easily configure them with the web page being the source of control.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the filter roller, I went with the SK5000 and had to make slight modifications to the sump and main drain pipe. I’ll see if I can find a pic, or it’s on my build thread if you’d like to take a look

OP
OP
C

canjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the filter roller, I went with the SK5000 and had to make slight modifications to the sump and main drain pipe. I’ll see if I can find a pic, or it’s on my build thread if you’d like to take a look
I’ve been following your build for awhile actually! I modified my sump for the Clarisea too. Unfortunately, it appears that the inverter for the Clarisea is DOA. BRS sending a replacement this week.

I also have a problem on the drain side of things at the back of the stand. I can’t utilize the shelf that goes in the chiller compartment. It looks like the back panel of my tank is different from yours. Would you mind sending me a photo of that compartment of your stand? Algae Barn sent replacement plumbing, but that didn’t fix my problem. I’ll message you a photo so you can see what I’m talking about.

Thanks for following along!

OP
OP
C

canjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:

AC/DC inverter for the Clarisea was indeed broken straight out of the box. BRS shipped a new inverter—it works. Good customer service experience with BRS. Modified the sump using the Red Sea sump mod kit and braided fishing line. Plumbing the Clarisea has been a challenge, still tinkering and somewhat at a standstill until water is in the sump and pumps are running.

Had to modify the shelf in the chiller compartment of the stand to allow it to fit. Circular saw made quick work of it. The way it came from the factory was not at all serviceable. CADE/Algae Barn tried to fix it by sending new plumbing, Adam from CADE thought the drain plumbing was not to spec based on the pictures I provided. This didn’t fix the issue unfortunately. Thanks to @Reefer911 for helping with troubleshooting, as he had the same issue with his tank.

Ordered Reefi Uno 2 Pro x 2 fixtures after exchanging messages with Daniel at Reefi. Going to use across tank mount system for now with extruded 2040 T-slot

Water this week, cycle likely starting in a few days.

72040655033__53A45C58-2DB7-415D-A251-7F6ADEE5B5F3.jpeg

OP
OP
C

canjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Currently have it on the floor of the sump. Converted the return to imperial and have barbed fittings with silicon tubing. Raising it off the floor of the sump causes the silicon to kink, I think I’m going to use some rigid 45 or 90 degree elbows in there somewhere.

OP
OP
C

canjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0834.jpeg
IMG_0835.jpeg
IMG_0844.jpeg

Progress on the tank slowed down for a bit after I fractured a rib, but the tank is running now with inhabitants coming this week hopefully.

Mark Hyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build- following along. I'm waiting for my Cade 900 to deliver in a week or so and still specing out my gear. I may go with Reef Diapers rather than finessing the sump for a roller, at least to start.

I love the look of the Tropic Eden Morocca rock but am having a hard time stomaching $13+/lb for dry rock. Debating biting the bullet vs going with the Marco coralline.

OP
OP
C

canjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build- following along. I'm waiting for my Cade 900 to deliver in a week or so and still specing out my gear. I may go with Reef Diapers rather than finessing the sump for a roller, at least to start.

I love the look of the Tropic Eden Morocca rock but am having a hard time stomaching $13+/lb for dry rock. Debating biting the bullet vs going with the Marco coralline.
Yeah the Morocca is pricey no doubt. I had zero breakage during shipping from premium aquatics. It is quite porous and natural looking. Diverse options on shapes and sizes. The core is pinkish, so if you break some, it’s at least not too noticeable in the tank.

Reef diapers sound like a good idea, can always add the roller later, though obviously easiest to modify the sump before you’ve got water in it. Good luck with your new tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back