OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a little while and picked up a few things on the forums and from BRS with their coupons:
Apex FMM - have two optical sensors, a 1" flow sensor and a leak sensor
Might pick up another FMM to add more sensors, but for now plan is to add an optical to the ATO reservoir, auto change reservoir and flow sensor on the return
Picked up two uses BRS 300W heaters with a temp controller. Should be enough power her in SoCal. Will have a 500W as an extra/backup once the 120G tank is down.

I've decided I'm going to run dual return pumps. Will add flapper check valves and a wye to join. I like the idea of redundancy for a larger tank combined with the flow sensor to verify function. I've got my eye on a DC Jabao pump that has a clear housing or a DC Hyyger pump with standard black plastic housing. Still debating between the two but will likely get two of one of those. I like the idea of the clear housing, but I'm definitely a little weary of relying on Jabao pumps outright. I've had good luck with my current Hyyger so that's hard to discount. I think a lot of the risk of using a "cheaper" pump is mitigated with using two and planning to run them at 50-60% capacity.

I reached out to Algae Barn before the holidays and got a response that the tank was on a boat. Hopefully thats still tracking to inspecting early January and then *fingers crossed* shipped to be before months end.... Lots to do still!

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a little while and picked up a few things on the forums and from BRS with their coupons:
Apex FMM - have two optical sensors, a 1" flow sensor and a leak sensor
Might pick up another FMM to add more sensors, but for now plan is to add an optical to the ATO reservoir, auto change reservoir and flow sensor on the return
Picked up two uses BRS 300W heaters with a temp controller. Should be enough power her in SoCal. Will have a 500W as an extra/backup once the 120G tank is down.

I've decided I'm going to run dual return pumps. Will add flapper check valves and a wye to join. I like the idea of redundancy for a larger tank combined with the flow sensor to verify function. I've got my eye on a DC Jabao pump that has a clear housing or a DC Hyyger pump with standard black plastic housing. Still debating between the two but will likely get two of one of those. I like the idea of the clear housing, but I'm definitely a little weary of relying on Jabao pumps outright. I've had good luck with my current Hyyger so that's hard to discount. I think a lot of the risk of using a "cheaper" pump is mitigated with using two and planning to run them at 50-60% capacity.

I reached out to Algae Barn before the holidays and got a response that the tank was on a boat. Hopefully thats still tracking to inspecting early January and then *fingers crossed* shipped to be before months end.... Lots to do still!
How are you getting the tank inside and set up. I just set up a Cade 1800 and it took 6 of us (all tradies accustomed to heavy lifting) get it up the stairs and we struggled. The tank in the box was 250 kg alone. Be prepared.

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely aware it's going to be extremely heavy. I've already talked to a few folks from one of my LFS as well as a company that does maintenance about help.

My wife and I put my 120 (glass) up ourselves and thought that was rough! Definitely not going to try with this monster!

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small gripe:

I want to add an inline UV sterilizer. I simply do not understand why some are so expensive. They're basically constructed out of cheap PVC pipe or molded plastic, a few seals, the bulbs and the power block/converter. None of that is revolutionary or expensive to produce... Blows my mind that a 25w Pentair UV sterilizer draws a $450+ price tag. Does anyone understand the logic, or is it just that there isn't any?

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, question that I'd really like input on.

As I mentioned, this is an upgrade to combine my 120 and WB 60 gallon tanks. My 120 is a FOWLR and the 60 is a reef.

I want to have the CADE up and thoroughly cycled before I start introducing from my existing tanks - I'm thinking ~3 months.

I would like to use Marco rocks in the CADE. My Waterbox has Life rock (the purple arches) that have my corals encrusting all over the various pieces. It does also have a little bit of nuisance algae here and there too (just found some bubble! Arg!)

My question is that I'm trying to work through bringing the purple life rock with corals into the new system and a) not introducing things I don't want with that I do, and b) the asthetics of mixing the different rock colors.

So far I'm thinking of keeping the Marco in 2/3rds of the CADE with new sand, and *trying* to keep 1/3rd clean bottom to introduce pieces of the life rock as islands or combined with additional Marco. I'd likely try to dip and scrub the hell out of the rock before adding it to the new system.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Past experiences? Open to any and all comments on this. Been pondering it for a while.

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I have about 60lbs of life rock and I'd probably want to use about half, maybe a little more. Can post a pic of helpful.
I am not planning to reuse any rocks from the 120 other than possibly some in the sump for biologic seeding.

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thoughts on the rock work?

Got an email from @AlgaeBarn yesterday. Aquarium arrived in container ship at the Port of LA. Unfortunately it has to go to them, then be shipped back here to get delivered. Hopefully only a few more weeks!

Took our holiday tree down and cleaned up. Spot for the aquarium is ready to go!

PXL_20230106_190941855.jpg

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!!!! Freight company picked up the aquarium from AB today. Fingers crossed it will be delivered inside of two weeks!

Have been busy planning, and now that the aquarium is almost here I can finally get back to posting. Took a lot longer than I anticipated, so hopefully it's worth the wait!

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been quiet as far as posting, but have been acquiring lots of things:

2x BRS 300W Titanium heaters
Inkbird temp controller
Neptune 1" flow meter for return
Picked up a 1/4" flow meter as well, still debating use
Neptune leak detection probes
2x Staygrow 2600 gph DC return pumps
2x 1" flap style check valves
55 gal rain barrel for auto water changes

Definitely feel like I'm rolling the dice a little with my return pumps. The controller and pump design looks essentially identical to a Jabao pump, so it likely is. Having a dual return also helps some of my anxiety as well as knowing I'm waaaay oversized. Assuming I aim for 5x return that's about 1400 gph, vs the 5200 the pumps are rated for. I'm assuming I get about 50% efficiency with the tubing, manifolds and fittings. So that would leave me expecting to run the pumps at about 54% to get 5x turnover. I think that's a safe place to be. Time will tell.

Still need to figure out a wye joint for the two lines. Not a lot of options and I know the tank comes with a 1" return plumbed in. Anyone run a dual return? Thoughts on sizes? I keep wondering if keeping all three lines the same size is best, or if the output should be larger to help the flow and pressure. Maybe I'm letting my college fluid mechanics lessons worry me too much...

Also found a local aquarium service company to help move it in once it's delivered.

Getting close!

Attachments

• PXL_20230209_042755576.jpg
    PXL_20230209_042755576.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20230209_042652010.jpg
    PXL_20230209_042652010.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20230209_042528347.jpg
    PXL_20230209_042528347.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20230209_042544506.jpg
    PXL_20230209_042544506.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20230209_042841074.jpg
    PXL_20230209_042841074.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a call from ESTES today about setting up a delivery, unfortunately they were closed by time I was out of work and called back.. hopefully I'll get that scheduled tomorrow.

Made some changes in plumbing over the weekend. I can't seem to find a wye that I like the design of (mostly sizes) so I'm going to change from a 1" output from the pumps to a 3/4". I purchased new check valves and a wye fitting that will take the two 3/4 and output a 1" to match the CADE's return plumbing.

I also bought a 1" gate valve to install upstream of the wye so if needed I can close the return for any maintenance.

Lastly I bought a fuge light - just some random 100W grow light. Should be sufficient for cheto.

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent a few hours yesterday going through the stand and taking inventory of it's condition.

Looks like the freight company did a number on it while shipping as the top of the shipping box has a large hole. Upon looking inside, almost all the sump shipping clips are snapped, and there's a bunch of rubbing and missing paint from the doors jostling. One of them was totally off it's hinges and resting on the bottom of the crate (vertically) and another has a chip missing from it's top corner.

Documented everything with photos and sent an email to AB. Hopefully they take care of me - definitely a little disappointed so far. Not able to look at the aquarium yet, hopefully that's in better shape.
PXL_20230217_165257874.jpg
PXL_20230217_200526188.jpg
PXL_20230217_200750775.jpg

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the stand inside and levelled it. Since it's sitting on vinyl laminate (directly over concrete slab) I wanted something else under the 10 x 1" diameter feet. I found clear plastic 4" piano coasters on Amazon. Each is rated to 800 pounds allegedly, so giving those a try to help spread the load out. Anyone used something like this before?

PXL_20230218_203232617.jpg

PXL_20230218_203147979.jpg

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the stand inside and levelled it. Since it's sitting on vinyl laminate (directly over concrete slab) I wanted something else under the 10 x 1" diameter feet. I found clear plastic 4" piano coasters on Amazon. Each is rated to 800 pounds allegedly, so giving those a try to help spread the load out. Anyone used something like this before?

PXL_20230218_203232617.jpg

PXL_20230218_203147979.jpg
dang shame no one takes care anymore. My first Cade was a 900 and the stand came damaged too, had no problem to get replacement bits though. I found leveling the stand was a nightmare because the back is not one piece. I ended up getting it close and then put the tank on the stand and filled it with water 100 mm high and checked the waterlevel.
I used my laserlevel too, didn't trust my levels.
How is the tank looking or is it still in its box?

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand looks pretty level now. I like your idea of checking it again with the tank and a bit of water.

I got the aquarium unboxed this morning too. The silicone holding the rear covers all let go, so I took photos of that and sent off with a follow up email.

The tank looks ok overall, but definitely some things that need to be taken care of and some overall disappointment in the quality I'm seeing so far.

PXL_20230218_190353432.jpg

PXL_20230218_190558540.jpg

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand looks pretty level now. I like your idea of checking it again with the tank and a bit of water.

I got the aquarium unboxed this morning too. The silicone holding the rear covers all let go, so I took photos of that and sent off with a follow up email.

The tank looks ok overall, but definitely some things that need to be taken care of and some overall disappointment in the quality I'm seeing so far.

PXL_20230218_190353432.jpg

PXL_20230218_190558540.jpg
Gee you are having a bad run. Nothing like that on my 1800, couldn't be happier with it.

OP
OP
hikebikebrew

hikebikebrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a lot of little things that are not right. Hopefully they take care of it. In the meantime I'm trying to stay positive and see the upside of this beautiful system that I just received. I'm hopeful that I can work through these issues, and will still end up with an amazing new reef tank!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back