Calcium Dispenser 5074

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Duberz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this and have a question about how much kalk to add. I’m currently using 1tsp per gallon in my auto now. do I put the same in the 5074?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically a bit less than 1 tsp of kalk can be dissolved by 1 gallon of water, you want have as high of losses from precipitation due to atmospheric CO2, I usually go with 2 tbsp for my 7 gallon reservoir.

OP
OP
Duberz

Duberz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reservoi is 5gal. I have my 5074 hooked up to it. I still can’t figure out how much kalk I need to put in the 5074. I know my correct ratio for when I was adding to my 5gal reservoir but the 5074 has me stumped. Too much guess work.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking 1 gallon of RO water will dissolve a little less than 1 teaspoon of kalk. When I have used kalk, I add 2 tablespoons for my 7 gallon reservoir and repeat this everytime I refill the reservoir. I would add 4 teaspoons, but only after you are sure the Osmolator is installed properly, the water level is correct and have run everything to be sure there is no risk of a siphon or other causes of overdose. You can of course add less, adding much more will tend to just lead to premature clogging of the lines and check valve. I would not add more than 5 teaspoons.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nilsen reactors don't work the same way as a still kalkwasser reservoir. In a still reservoir one can adjust the strength of the solution by dissolving the desired amount of calcium hydroxide. Reactors tend to deliver a more full strength solution as every time the Osmolator pump injects water through the angled inlet into the reactor it mixes the powder in the bottom. I have the 5074 and it works well, but I didn't use it until my tank's demand required full strength kalkwasser.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true to some extent, mostly in the reactor you don't have the amount losses to precipitation from reaction to atmospheric CO2 in an open container. This is such a simple reactor though, in stronger reactors that have there own mixing pump, you can mix a more concentrated slurry for example, but in this case, too much tends to clog the hoses, nipples, and check valve, so I would not mix it too strong.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nilsen reactors don't work the same way as a still kalkwasser reservoir. In a still reservoir one can adjust the strength of the solution by dissolving the desired amount of calcium hydroxide. Reactors tend to deliver a more full strength solution as every time the Osmolator pump injects water through the angled inlet into the reactor it mixes the powder in the bottom. I have the 5074 and it works well, but I didn't use it until my tank's demand required full strength kalkwasser.

@rvitko

I just picked up a 5704 for use with my 225gal. Midrats explanation above fits with my understanding but would like you to confirm for me, please!

I believe the way the dispenser works is that you “oversaturate” the kalk into the dispenser, which holds relatively little water volume, and each time the ATO runs it pushes fully saturated kalk out to the DT and fresh RODI comes in which “consumes” some of the kalk sediment at the bottom and saturates it.

If this is the case - why is the size of ATO or size/consumption of tank relevant? Doesn’t this product simply dose fully saturated kalk at whatever rate your tank is evaporating, and thus being refilled by the ATO with fully saturated kalk? I’m struggling by to understand why it matters if you use 2tsp in the dispenser or 4tsp, since the water becomes fully saturated either way - it seems the amount of kalk added simply dictates how long before you must add more kalk.

Am I missing something or is this correct?

Thank you!

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rvitko

I just picked up a 5704 for use with my 225gal. Midrats explanation above fits with my understanding but would like you to confirm for me, please!

I believe the way the dispenser works is that you “oversaturate” the kalk into the dispenser, which holds relatively little water volume, and each time the ATO runs it pushes fully saturated kalk out to the DT and fresh RODI comes in which “consumes” some of the kalk sediment at the bottom and saturates it.

If this is the case - why is the size of ATO or size/consumption of tank relevant? Doesn’t this product simply dose fully saturated kalk at whatever rate your tank is evaporating, and thus being refilled by the ATO with fully saturated kalk? I’m struggling by to understand why it matters if you use 2tsp in the dispenser or 4tsp, since the water becomes fully saturated either way - it seems the amount of kalk added simply dictates how long before you must add more kalk.

Am I missing something or is this correct?

Thank you!
I am following along as I have the same questions/concerns using the Tunze 5074 as well. Maybe @SunnyX can assist us with these concerns as I believe he uses this device and method as well and has great success implementing this?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gallon of water consumes around 3/4 teaspoons of kalk to achieve saturation, the reactor is designed to hold no more than 4 tablespoons of kalk, at higher levels of kalk, at first you get a supersaturated slurry, typically beyond 4 teaspoons, so you do add a bit more at least at first, there is less room for the powder to settle and not be ejected undissolved. If you use a lower dose, their is more room for the slurry to settle and so you tend to only dose the saturated solution, but for the most part, however much you add divided by 3/4, is how many gallons of water that batch will treat.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gallon of water consumes around 3/4 teaspoons of kalk to achieve saturation, the reactor is designed to hold no more than 4 tablespoons of kalk, at higher levels of kalk, at first you get a supersaturated slurry, typically beyond 4 teaspoons, so you do add a bit more at least at first, there is less room for the powder to settle and not be ejected undissolved. If you use a lower dose, their is more room for the slurry to settle and so you tend to only dose the saturated solution, but for the most part, however much you add divided by 3/4, is how many gallons of water that batch will treat.

Thanks Roger. Aside from the extra slurry potential at the beginning, the dispenser is basically dispensing fully saturated kalk any time the ATO runs.

So there isn't any real way to manage the dosing - which is fine, makes sense. I just don't understand why the manual recommends different amounts of kalk in the container for different sizes/types of tanks. The water is always coming out fully saturated and will come out at the rate your tank evaporates, regardless of actual consumption.

The quantity of kalk added has nothing to do with the strength of the dose or consumption. More kalk added means you'll have to refill it less often, basically. Right?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main concern is that if this tank was on the smaller side, it would be risky to does a slurry, you want only saturated solution and the lower dose prevents a slurry.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back