calcium reactor cant keep up with alk

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jda,
So you have my method picked out mostly. My effluent is open, apex set to 7.1-7.2 or so to turn the regulator on/off and any 1 bubble every 5-10 seconds. This gets me 7.3 mid day in my tank and around 10 coming from my effluent drip. However a things are growing more and I'm adding more frags I know my consumption will indeed increase. My regulator pretty much stays on as my ph probe keeps it very stable. So when I need to increase my dkh I will have to increase my bubble count and lower my apex settings.
With a low demand, can you see value in my effluent being closer to 20?

Corey

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to get closer to 20-30 when everything starts to grow. Once stuff starts to grow a ton, you will not have much choice if you want to keep up. For right now, do what works. As you start to use more and more co2, then you might want to move to a constant addition instead of dumping.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now I use a constant addition instead of a dump. That is part of the reason I use this method for more.
But I know at some point I'll need to get my reactor under 7 to melt not media to keep up. That will require me to increase my bubble count for one. I'll keep that in mind as far as the effluent range 20-30.

Corey

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a Geo for about 9 years and did the same as jda.

Measure dkh, count bubbles per minute and set flow...............never used a ph controller of any sort.

I do remember some larger systems having to use a kalk reactor as an add on because the CR couldn't keep up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cody - how did this turn out... did everything settle down, or are you still fighting it?

helped a ton and everything is really stable now! I greatly appreciate the help. I had to increase the flow and bubbles for demand but other then that, it has been great

Gools

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jda when you were using your kangaroo were you pushing or pulling your water through?
I have a schuran Jetstream 2, and it can't seem to keep up with my 300g, really enjoyed you information here and gong to try it on this reactor. I have a masterflex pushing through, was wondering if pulling changes any of the build up of CO2 that I get as well. Thanks

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I push with every pump that I have ever used.

Get the tune correct and the excess co2 will go away and that thing should be able to keep up with a 1000 gallon tank.

Gools

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it may have already been mentioned in the thread but how do you test for Alk that high? My salifert and Hanna only go to about 15 dkh.

vegamedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it may have already been mentioned in the thread but how do you test for Alk that high? My salifert and Hanna only go to about 15 dkh.

dilute the sample w/ RODI and multiply the result by the dilution factor

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With Salifert, you get another syringe of the final stuff and then just add the results. ...so a syringe and a half ends up being 22.5 dKh, or whatever.

Gools

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kind of jumped the gun a bit. When I tested my effluent it was only 9.3 dkh coming out! Have since taken everything offline, gave everything a good cleaning and going to reassemble and check for any leaks and start over today.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Salifert, you get another syringe of the final stuff and then just add the results. ...so a syringe and a half ends up being 22.5 dKh, or whatever.

So looking thru a lot of these posts im not sure if i missed it or not , but correct me if im wrong but you are NOT using a solenoid correct ? your just running effluant controlled with a valve and a bubble counter ?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back