calcium reactor cant keep up with alk

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
I do use a solenoid hooked up to a wall outlet. It only should go off when the power the whole house is off. ...so, emergency only.
Sweet ! thank you for the response , i want to pick your brain about tuning my reactor the same as you have been describing , reading what you've posted and thinking about in in very simple terms it makes perfect sense ........ its just a matter of getting there ?

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral

jda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
When you start keep a log and pay attention the trends. When you are tuning, only change one thing at a time, never effluent rate AND bubbles at the same time. Just do one or the other... usually bubbles since they are easier to count. You will get it. It is like how people struggle with carburetors at first, but then after a while, some old dude can just smell the exhaust and know whether it is the mixture, timing or both that needs changed. Once you get it, then you get it. I can pretty much look at a tank, look at the effluent rate and look at the bubbles and tell you if it is close or not. It is not even as hard as a carburetor. :)

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
When you start keep a log and pay attention the trends. When you are tuning, only change one thing at a time, never effluent rate AND bubbles at the same time. Just do one or the other... usually bubbles since they are easier to count. You will get it. It is like how people struggle with carburetors at first, but then after a while, some old dude can just smell the exhaust and know whether it is the mixture, timing or both that needs changed. Once you get it, then you get it. I can pretty much look at a tank, look at the effluent rate and look at the bubbles and tell you if it is close or not. It is not even as hard as a carburetor. :)

lol .... i liked the old carburetors , they were simple and too the point , not all the electric ******** now , so im old school , lamens terms , the KISS method .... ok if i PM you later to discuss

lapin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Same here. Only closes in emergency

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
FWIW, such a setup will not have added head pressure, though longer lines will offer a bit more friction. What will be true, is that the internal pressure inside the reactor will be a bit higher, but I would view this as a good thing as it helps to ensure the CO2 dissolves completely. I run mine under slight positive pressure for just this reason.
@ca1ore @jda, since this aligns with the OP's post I've got a couple questions here.

I'm using a Neptune DOS to pull effluent from my reactor and a Carbondoser for CO2 control. Teeing off of my basement return line would pressurize my reactor, allowing more CO2 to remain in solution. While not a current issue, about how much of a boost in performance might be expected with about 12 feet of head pressure? Would this also reduce the amount of CO2 used for a given amount of dkh provided by the reactor? Thanks for your input.

Top Shelf Aquatics

jda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am going off of a long memory, but I seem to remember that Dr RHF indicated once that while the pressure can do something, the benefits are probably minimal... so cool if you have it, but not worth chasing if you do not. Ever since then, I just consider it a non-issue.

The only way that I have found to reduce an appreciable amount of co2 is to tune the reactor correctly for 24/7 operation.

prfishgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi jda I’ve been reading your posts regarding the reactor you have.. I’m actually trying to set mine up..same reactor as you.. Except it’s the 1502 if I remember the number correctly.. your using the small quiet one pump to fill the reactor? Can I use the aqua Toms lifter to fill it? My ehiem pump is shot I purchased a siccie with the same ghp can I use that to recirculate the water? I’m also using the new kamoer continuous peri pump.. so use the designated outlet port and not the top port.. just close the top port to trap co2...thank u in advance

jda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
All of that works. If Toms is not made for continuous duty, then it might be short lived, but I have no idea since I have never used one.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow.. Just Wow.. This should be a sticky
The information in this thread is Gold.
Thanks so much for contributing jda.
"My first Ca reactor was in 92 when I was 16. We only used a notebook back then..." Dang!!

Earn WWC Rewards Points

DSB or Deep Sand Beds (check all that apply to you)

• Yes I run a DSB

Votes: 132 21.7%
  • No I do not run a DSB

Votes: 327 53.8%
  • A DSB is a good idea

Votes: 80 13.2%
  • I do not think a DSB is a good idea

Votes: 136 22.4%
  • I have had a DSB in the past

Votes: 164 27.0%
  • I will have a DSB in the future

Votes: 52 8.6%