Calcium Reactor Recommendation? AquaReady any good?

Andrew Schubert

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2018
Messages
647
Reaction score
321
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so I guess I've been out of the loop. My 250Gallon tank is finally to the point where I cannot keep up with Calcium/Alk demand with Kalk alone. So I thought I'd take a peek at BRS website, expecting to find the normal supply of Red Sea Calcium reactors and other brands. To my surprise, there is now just one offering. So how does the AquaReady reactor work compared to the "other" brands that I am more used to seeing. On the one hand I can get the Aqua Ready T-2 (rated for 500Gallon tank) for just $259.99, where as the equivalent Geo Reef reactor would set me back $695 - GeoReef CR818 Gen 3).

I've never known BRS to sell poor quality products, but looking at their website kind of gives me pause as I'm not sure what is going on with them as their site looks WAY different then I last remember (and not in a goo way), and remind me more of a PetSmart for fish store than a premium reef supply store.
 
Its a rebranded Aquamaxx Reactor, not horrible not great. I use GEO and I have good experience with their gear. Im sure others will respond as well
 
Its a rebranded Aquamaxx Reactor, not horrible not great. I use GEO and I have good experience with their gear. Im sure others will respond as well
Since you use Geo, do you have their classic version or the more expensive quiet version. My tank is in the basement, so I'm not really concerned with noise. Is there any other benefit of the more expensive reactors?
 
I have an Aquamaxx T-3 (the old name for the aqua ready products) and a Geo 612x2 and both work fine. The geo is definitely higher end construction and has a DC pump vs the AC pump on the T-3.
 
Geo 618 here (classic version). I've looked at the new silent model however. Geo builds a solid reactor that will last you a long time.
 
I have the aqua max t2. I’ve been happy with it. The acrylic is for sure thinner than a geo but operationally it’s no different really. It has a sicce pump. I do think you’d probably be better off with the t3 though, especially if you have a lot of coral. I run kalk at my evap limit and have the reactor running fairly strong. I still have room to bump up on the reactor, but not a lot. My total system volume is 200 gallons probably around 160 accounting for rock. I ditched the pinch valve and filter and used a peri pump pushing through with the carbon doser instead of bubble thingy. It has worked fantastic.
 
I am just re-entering the hobby after a 12 year break and was shocked like you by the changes. Central Pet, Coralvue, and Bulk Reef Supply have pretty much bought out and sunk many of the classic brands from back in the day.

For calcium reactors, the choices now appear to pretty much be Geo’s Reef, MRC, Reef Octopus, Aqua Ready, and Deltec.

I decided to buy the Geo’s Reef Super Silent CR818 SSE because I wanted something premium based on its build quality, performance, efficiency, and reassurance it won’t leak. Mine will be in my living room too, so the silence was a factor for me. I just received it a few days ago and it is a beast!

I know it’s a lot of money, but even if you went with the classic, you won’t be disappointed. The Aqua Ready is going to be like buying the Coralife Super Skimmer vs. the Euro Reef back in the day.
 
Since you use Geo, do you have their classic version or the more expensive quiet version. My tank is in the basement, so I'm not really concerned with noise. Is there any other benefit of the more expensive reactors?
I have a classic and I dont find very loud, every now and then you will hear some co2 get chopped but thats about it
 
I run a Geo 818 on my on my 150 and it would be a good choice for your system.
I run no ph probe or controller.
AGA 2 stage regulator and control the system with a Kamoer pump.
Very simple and easy to run.
20241206_143552.jpg
20241101_153115.jpg
 
Last edited:
My Deltec crtt runs for months at a time between hiccups. Also, I like the saturation type… there is less to adjust or fuss over.
 
I run a Geo 818 on my on my 150 and it would be a good choice for your system.
I run no ph probe or controller.
AGA 2 stage regulator and control the system with a Kamoer pump.
Very simple and easy to run.
20241206_143552.jpg
20241101_153115.jpg
Why did you connected thicker silicon tube to the second outlet of the kamoer ?
 
I mean this thicker tube
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250121-180110_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20250121-180110_Chrome.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 90
Oh I got it...that's the tube that pulls water from the sump to the reactor?
 
Oh I got it...that's the tube that pulls water from the sump to the reactor?
No it's the effluent end. The small tube pulls through the reactor. The input is on the right.
20250121_082122.jpg
 
I use Geo SSE, a Versa and a Carbon doser. Love it. I’m also not having any issues with the Versa. I also buffer with 2 part and use Kalk, so I am not putting a lot of strain on the Versa though to be fair.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5990.png
    IMG_5990.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Wow, so I guess I've been out of the loop. My 250Gallon tank is finally to the point where I cannot keep up with Calcium/Alk demand with Kalk alone. So I thought I'd take a peek at BRS website, expecting to find the normal supply of Red Sea Calcium reactors and other brands. To my surprise, there is now just one offering. So how does the AquaReady reactor work compared to the "other" brands that I am more used to seeing. On the one hand I can get the Aqua Ready T-2 (rated for 500Gallon tank) for just $259.99, where as the equivalent Geo Reef reactor would set me back $695 - GeoReef CR818 Gen 3).

I've never known BRS to sell poor quality products, but looking at their website kind of gives me pause as I'm not sure what is going on with them as their site looks WAY different then I last remember (and not in a goo way), and remind me more of a PetSmart for fish store than a premium reef supply store.
I just got mine the other day and will be setting it up soon, we will see how it goes!
 
I’m not a big fan of my aqua ready. Wish I just bit the bullet and got something reliable. It is my first ca rx so I’m sure it could be user error too…

My issue is the pump pushing bubbles so my dosing is not consistent. I’ve tried to fill the reactor completely with water but still get a big air bubble at the top.

If anyone can shoot me some advice I’d appreciate it! My buddy recommended I pull water from the reactor rather than pushing water into it. Could that be my issue?
 
I have the aqua max t2. I’ve been happy with it. The acrylic is for sure thinner than a geo but operationally it’s no different really. It has a sicce pump. I do think you’d probably be better off with the t3 though, especially if you have a lot of coral. I run kalk at my evap limit and have the reactor running fairly strong. I still have room to bump up on the reactor, but not a lot. My total system volume is 200 gallons probably around 160 accounting for rock. I ditched the pinch valve and filter and used a peri pump pushing through with the carbon doser instead of bubble thingy. It has worked fantastic.
Have you had any issues with co2 pooling at the top and being constantly sucked into the recirculating pump causing noise?
 
Have you had any issues with co2 pooling at the top and being constantly sucked into the recirculating pump causing noise?
No. Well, only for a few minutes after I open it up to add media. After it’s run for a bit it all purges out and is super silent. Oh, could it be pump cavitation? I ran into a noisy reactor, with bubbles as you mention, a long time ago and couldn’t get it to clear. I ended up pulling the pump and replacing the impeller with one from Avast. Cleared it right up. Problem with the Avast impellers is they have a stainless shaft and do wear faster, requiring replacement every six to ten months for me. The ceramic shaft impellers can be ordered (only directly through Sicce, they are not sold anywhere else for some odd reason) and they last about 18-24 months for me.

Edit. I should add that my kamoer is pushing, not pulling, and that when I do maintenance or add media (anything where the reactor is opened) that I run the kamoer at a fairly high speed to speed up the purging process. Once all the unit is full and purged, then I reduce to the kamoer to normal speed and switch the circulation pump back on.
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new