Calcium reactors

prfishgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on good quality calcium reactors that aren’t overly priced.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No CaRx is going to be cheap (unless you are up for making one), but the Geo range seems like it offers good value. Aquarium engineering is probably the best in class .... with a price to match.

OP
OP
prfishgirl

prfishgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No CaRx is going to be cheap (unless you are up for making one), but the Geo range seems like it offers good value. Aquarium engineering is probably the best in class .... with a price to match.
I know not cheap just looking for reasonable. The Dastaco the other guy recommended was almost 2k that’s more than a tad expensive

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think budget might help narrow down the list.

Also are you looking for internal or external?

I went with the skimz internal as i had more room in my sump than my cabinet. After including controller, co2 tank, media, regulator, solenoid, etc. this was still quite a hefty upfront investment.

OP
OP
prfishgirl

prfishgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think budget might help narrow down the list.

Also are you looking for internal or external?

I went with the skimz internal as i had more room in my sump than my cabinet. After including controller, co2 tank, media, regulator, solenoid, etc. this was still quite a hefty upfront investment.

I know it’s an invest with everything.. I’m just looking for a decent reactor chamber to start with..external I have the room in my cabinet.. that geo 612 seems pretty decent.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know not cheap just looking for reasonable. The Dastaco the other guy recommended was almost 2k that’s more than a tad expensive

When you compare that price to others make sure to take into account additional items that will be needed with the DaStaco XtremA Model A-2 all you need in addition is a CO2 tank and media.

Ted_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Pacific Sun line of calcium reactors. Similar in design concept to DaStaco but cheaper. I had troubles with my AC4 - but nothing I couldn't work through and fix myself.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, they are all the same... they just recirculate water. The regulator is more important, IMO.

Most people just recommend what they have (not all), but I have used about 8-10 different kinds and each of them has some strong points and some weak ones. Ehiem pumps are nice because they don't get loud or break down when small pieces of media get into them - they also last a decade or more. I like reverse flow, but this is not as big of a deal with larger media now available.

Just get a brand that you have heard of and can trust. Used is a good way to go. I have used and like MR2, MRC, Knopp, Korallin, Geo, Octopus (not my favorite), AquaMaxx, LifeReef and a few others that I cannot remember.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you compare that price to others make sure to take into account additional items that will be needed with the DaStaco XtremA Model A-2 all you need in addition is a CO2 tank and media.
Agreed,
If you compare apple to apple, I think diffrence is not that big...assuming you comparing similar quality or similar operational approaches.
One thing that can be confusing is how reactors are sold, only when you add all the needed parts, you can tell the real cost.

What draw me toward dastaco is the ease of use and auto tuning function thsy made me avoid big mistakes which would have costed me my coral. I know reefers who got s reactor then ended up not using it or had to buy a diffrent one later on...so.
I do not think you will go wrong with any selection as long ad you know what you getting in to, what it take to operate and are willing to put the efforts in the learning curve of these equipments...

Twin tech came up with similar reactor that is cheaper but I am not sure about the 1uality cause it's still new. You should check it out.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lot's of good reactors out there for the job, but agree with jda, a well built regulator is worth every penny and it's probably the most important piece in a reactor setup. I bought a custom regulator from Alan Le and couldn't be happier. It's not cheap, but if you're going to spend money on a reactor, this is where you don't want to go cheap.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep reactors aren’t all that different. It’s the regulator that really matters, and to a certain extent the feed pump, though some people manage to get by on an ac pump a lot of people have issues doing that.

One issue I see with the dastaco is they recommend the synthetic calcium carbonate media. Does anyone use standard reborn with them? I’d hate to miss out on the other minor elements in reborn by using a synthetic media

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back