Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, they are all the same... they just recirculate water. The regulator is more important, IMO.

Most people just recommend what they have (not all), but I have used about 8-10 different kinds and each of them has some strong points and some weak ones. Ehiem pumps are nice because they don't get loud or break down when small pieces of media get into them - they also last a decade or more. I like reverse flow, but this is not as big of a deal with larger media now available.

Just get a brand that you have heard of and can trust. Used is a good way to go. I have used and like MR2, MRC, Knopp, Korallin, Geo, Octopus (not my favorite), AquaMaxx, LifeReef and a few others that I cannot remember.

Why are reef octopus not your favorite (compared to others). Just curious.

I have a reef octopus CR-5000D that’s been working like a champ since 2012.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are always Calcium reactors for sale in the selling forum. Find one that fits your budget and that's the best one. For a 75 gallon, you won't need one that is very big either.

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water dog can I pm you about possibly building a regulator as well?
Ryansweet are you sing the Bill Wann reactor? I spoke to him briefly about it but never pulled the trigger. How do you like it, does it work along the same concept as the PacSun and Dastaco?

Corey

I just purchased one of Bill’s automated carx and am awaiting delivery, so haven’t used it personally yet. I have friends who have Bill’s equipment and swear by everything they use. Seeing his products in use, the quality and simplicity of using them, and the customer service that he provides is what made my decision to buy from Aquarium Engineering. The products they make are usually for larger systems but can be scaled down for smaller (within limits) setups. I love the automated calcium reactor because it comes with everything needed to run it, except the co2. There is no hassling with what regulator to buy, what pumps to use, etc. And the lifetime warranty is quite a draw as well. I have a 120gal mixed reef now, but can use the reactor I purchased for a much larger system in the future, so the warranty was a big deciding factor. For close to $1000 you get a carx that can be used on smaller tanks, but still be moved to larger tanks in the future without the issues of upgrading of wondering if it will still work that far into the future.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There are many out there and effective. On a low budget, Coralife is Very user friendly and easy to service and use. Korallin and GEO are the best units out there for the money

Last edited:

DusReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Pacific Sun line of calcium reactors. Similar in design concept to DaStaco but cheaper. I had troubles with my AC4 - but nothing I couldn't work through and fix myself.
Hey Ted, Just setting up my unit and curious what volume per hour (l/hr) you have your PacSun set to. I would appreciate any words of wisdom. thanks!

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at my first reactor also. With the price of two part do you all find you have saved money over the long term? What are the other benefits to consider that would help me decide to fork out the cash?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back