OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This what i was referencing in my post below. Your on temp is 78(temp would have to be 76.9 to turn on), your tank temp was 79.1, why should you have expected the outlet to be on?
4128E724-E531-419F-88E6-84BCC43F325D.png

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I get that, but if it had just shut off(because tank temp was reached), it was in shutdown until the tank hit 77.9, then would turn on again until it hit 80.1. Then shutdown again until you were at 77.9.

Thats why I say set your apex higher, that way the outlet only shuts off if the heater overheats.

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I get that, but if it had just shut off(because tank temp was reached), it was in shutdown until the tank hit 77.9, then would turn on again until it hit 80.1. Then shutdown again until you were at 77.9.

Thats why I say set your apex higher, that way the outlet only shuts off if the heater overheats.
The temp did not engage when it was 76.4 or when it was below the 80 mark

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp did not engage when it was 76.4 or when it was below the 80 mark
At 76.4 it most certainly should have been on. Your just not understanding how the apex works with relation to temps and whether the outlet should be on or off.

Ill try to explain again......

When your water temps reach 80.1 it shuts the outlet off. It will remain off until the temp hits 77.9, then it will turn back on until the temp is 80.1. Then shutdown again. Apex logic only tells the outlet to turn ON if the temp is below 77.9, not anywhere in between.

This is why the apex should used as a redundancy and not control of the heater. You should let the BRS controller control the heater and just use the apex as a backup. The outlet should never turn off, unless the water temp is above 80.1.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try another piece of eupiment that will rely on on/off programming. Just to rule out the energy bar outlet being bad.
Anything will work. I would program in an OSC command just to see if the outlet will turn off and on when set in auto.

This is a good idea. You already know the outlet works when set to "On" on the apex, because the heater worked when you turned it on. The "auto" setting is what needs to be tested.

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 76.4 it most certainly should have been on. Your just not understanding how the apex works with relation to temps and whether the outlet should be on or off.

Ill try to explain again......

When your water temps reach 80.1 it shuts the outlet off. It will remain off until the temp hits 77.9, then it will turn back on until the temp is 80.1. Then shutdown again. Apex logic only tells the outlet to turn ON if the temp is below 77.9, not anywhere in between.

This is why the apex should used as a redundancy and not control of the heater. You should let the BRS controller control the heater and just use the apex as a backup. The outlet should never turn off, unless the water temp is above 80.1.

Oh I get it lol
and to your point it should also work when temp is below 77.9 it should turn ON. In my specific case it is not.

I just got home now I’ll connect a skimmer to it. And if all else fails I’ll reset both the BRS heater and the Apex. Hopefully I figure this out!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I get it lol
and to your point it should also work when temp is below 77.9 it should turn ON. In my specific case it is not.

I just got home now I’ll connect a skimmer to it. And if all else fails I’ll reset both the BRS heater and the Apex. Hopefully I figure this out!

Be careful if you reset the Apex. If you hold the button down too long the programming will be wiped out....learned the hard way :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the follow up I might have to try this out tomorrow
Erick - try lowering the value for the on from 78 to 76.8 and see if that makes a difference. If your tank is 78, it may not go on why the heater is off. Just a hunch and nothing to lose

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erick - try lowering the value for the on from 78 to 76.8 and see if that makes a difference. If your tank is 78, it may not go on why the heater is off. Just a hunch and nothing to lose
Thanks man I’ll try that and change the outlet to a skimmer and see if it stays off.. oh and congratulations again on the Reef2reef badge never got to formally say it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks man I’ll try that and change the outlet to a skimmer and see if it stays off.. oh and congratulations again on the Reef2reef badge never got to formally say it
Thank you

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Cindy thanks for checking in!!! I did not! I just plugged the BRS heater into a standard outlet and connected the refugium light to it.. so far the light turns on when it should and off as it should.. we have a newborn at the house so it’s been challenging to try and trouble shoot something but I have set time this weekend for maintenance and will set up the outlet again with the heater.. wish me luck!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Cindy thanks for checking in!!! I did not! I just plugged the BRS heater into a standard outlet and connected the refugium light to it.. so far the light turns on when it should and off as it should.. we have a newborn at the house so it’s been challenging to try and trouble shoot something but I have set time this weekend for maintenance and will set up the outlet again with the heater.. wish me luck!

Good luck! Let us know if you find a solution.

Congratulations on your new addition Hopimg everyone is healthy.

OP
OP
Erick Armanii

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been completely stumped with this and ultimately just switched to a different outlet on the eb832.

everything worked fine and just assumes whatever issue with the programming or whatever was causing this irregularity was resolved.

IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im going to have to give neptunes a call because I’m stumped!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back