Calling all mirrorless Sony shooters

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Was wondering what lenses you guys are all use to take photos with. I purchased the stock kit lense (Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens) Was wondering what other lenses everyone else is shooting with?

Also any settings you found that work well for taking your photos?

Thanks
Joe

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah I was looking at picking up the 90mm macro for the coral shots.
Thanks for the link

I bought a used G-Series 90mm macro, it gets rave reviews but I was initially a bit underwhelmed. Once I used a top-down tube, all complaints with the lens disappeared. The difference between top-down and trying to shoot thru the glass with both reflection + LED glare is substantial. That's not the fault of any lens, just the challenges of aquariums. I have been looking for a used 50mm macro, I'd like a focal length similar to normal eyesight.

DSC01223-1.jpg

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used G-Series 90mm macro, it gets rave reviews but I was initially a bit underwhelmed. Once I used a top-down tube, all complaints with the lens disappeared. The difference between top-down and trying to shoot thru the glass with both reflection + LED glare is substantial. That's not the fault of any lens, just the challenges of aquariums. I have been looking for a used 50mm macro, I'd like a focal length similar to normal eyesight.

DSC01223-1.jpg

That’s a great shot.
What other lenses do you currently have for your camera. Not only aquarium photography. I’ll have to look into the 50mm macro

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great shot.
What other lenses do you currently have for your camera. Not only aquarium photography. I’ll have to look into the 50mm macro

A few old Russian 35mm I got off Ebay and the kit lens. I didn't want the kit lens, but when I bought my A7II, they were practically giving it away with discounts prior to the new model. I intend to purchase the Sony 55 f/1.8 this year, I've been looking on the used sites for any old Macro lens since many manual focus adapters are very adorable.

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Photography is another addictive hobby. I was also looking at the 55mm f1.8. I’ve seen some Great reviews. I took picked up the kit lens.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Sigma 30mm 2.8. I am very new to photography and I'm sure it's not the most optimal for aquarium shots but it seems to be a good starting point for photography in general. I didn't get the kit lens with the camera because I found a good deal on just the body, so this is my only lens. I also have extension tubes which are awesome for the corals that are very close to the glass.

Also following along to see what others are using.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 lens that I think are a must for this camera:

FE 2.8/90 Macro G:
SlbArfb.jpg

SbO866E.jpg

HJtK0yQ.jpg

FE 2.8/35 (nice small/light)

The 50mm has a reputation for being extremely sharp but due to the angles and placement in my basement the 50mm is garbage for my needs.

I use a non full frame sony 2.8/16 with wide angle adapter for making steadycam video due to it's quick focus.

I also have the Rokinon auto focus 14/2.8 but it's terrible for video unless you manual focus. I love wide angle due to the fact I shoot indoors more than anything:
ZnuQGco.jpg

OP
OP
lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THose are some great pictures. I def want to pick up the 90mm f2.8

Was also thinking about getting the 24-105. That 35mm is also real nice.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 90mm G macro on my a7r as well. You can also use extension tubes to turn just about anything into a really nice macro lens, but it also makes it so you can't focus if you're more than a few inches away.

Make sure you get an acrylic porthole from avast or something similar - WORLDS of difference vs shooting through glass or from over the top of the water!

Back