Calling All Plumbers! Help Me Increase Water Pressure for RO/DI System

JollyReefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2018
Messages
163
Reaction score
156
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a five stage RO/DI system from BRS. I initially set up my RO/DI system in my basement below the kitchen sink into which the RO/DI's water line tapped. In that initial setup, my RO/DI system was showing a reading of approximately 20 PSI. I found that level of PSI odd because my house is only 2 years old. I checked the water main valve, which showed a certified PSI level of 50 for the house. I supposed that 50 PSI should thus be distributed throughout the house as well.

I wondered if having the RO/DI system separated so far from the kitchen sink where the water line tapped would cause the lower PSI level. So I moved the RO/DI system upstairs into the cupboard under the kitchen sink. There the PSI level decreased even more to between 10-15 PSI. Odd.

So I bought a water pressure booster pump from BRS, which did not appear to help much at all. It increased the PSI level by maybe 2 PSI (e.g., from 10 PSI to 12 PSI).

Important information:
I used the plastic connection piece provided with the RO/DI system to connect the RO/DI water line into the main kitchen sink water line.

Interesting observations:
The water pressure to my kitchen sink faucet is high. I'm not sure how high, but it flows much higher than I would expect from a 10-20 PSI water line. Also, when I turned on the BRS water pressure booster pump, I could hear a significant increase in water flow through the pipes (presumably going into the waste drain). These observations lead me to believe that the low water pressure reading on my RO/DI system is not the result of low water pressure in my house but, rather, some sort of blockage or problem with the configuration of my water lines or stages within my RO/DI system.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
 
Do you have a manual flush kit or automatic?
Is it open or closed?
 
Do you have a manual flush kit or automatic?
Is it open or closed?
Wow! You solved the mystery. My flush kit was open. Thank you.

On a related note, BRS's instructions are absolute garbage. That makes me sooo mad. Just another example of how terrible aquarium products' instructions are.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 36.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new