Calling all SPS keepers!

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to know what type of sticks you lot have had the best luck with? I have had my tank for 2 years now, and am just starting to get into sps. I ordered a jf solar flare Millie and I’m wondering if I just picked the hardest type of Acro to start with.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digis, stylos, birdsnest and montis are almost always a safe bet given stable parameters. Acros specially all the real pretty ones are going to require higher levels of stability and care specially if they are going to retain their colors.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digis, stylos, birdsnest and montis are almost always a safe bet given stable parameters. Acros specially all the real pretty ones are going to require higher levels of stability and care specially if they are going to retain their colors.

whoops forgot a few, stylo, pocili, monti etc
Those don’t count for me either just acros alllowed

I misread the OPs questions he didn’t ask about acros but SPS- then mentioned a specific acro and asked about sticks so that’s what I was referencing.

Some SPS like the ones I dogged are more forgiving and can take some param swings and other human error. I have to assume if one is taking on the acro/stick growing they have done all the reading on the basic needs which is why I said they are all the same

Not to get into the minutia of light, flow, etc

Congrats on the Solar Flare nice acro IME

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I’m understanding is according to @Reefnjunkie in the world of real acros no one species is easier. What about smooth vs fuzzy skins?

Some can be “easier” but that’s subjective

My deep water won’t like it at 500 par but that’s not what I consider difficult vs easier

millis are an “easy” all around acro

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like mainly acros, but I dont mind stylos and classic birds of paradise. I think its one of the most underappreciated corals out there

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding acros that have been around awhile are a good bet to, stay away from the new Mari cultured pieces, you want something that’s been established

The green slimmer as mentioned is in that group. Old school stuff too like any ORA piece

Good luck and welcome to the dark side

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I’m understanding is according to @Reefnjunkie in the world of real acros no one species is easier. What about smooth vs fuzzy skins?

Ehhhh that's a bit over simplified. Some acros are definitely harder to (here's the key) keep as purchased. If you have acro supporting parameters you can keep pretty much any acro but that doesn't mean every acro is going to be happy with your flow, lighting and nutrient levels and stay colored up like the day it was purchased.

There are tons of people that report their acros browning out or greening up, and there are also people who have their ugly ducklings color up in time. It's a game of luck and skill but one that with experience can be tipped heavily in your favor.

Full disclaimer I poses non of these attributes.

lumpadelic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first was a Red Planet. Grew from a $20 pinkie finger sized frag to full hand sized colony in just about a year, and I am by no means a professional. Just don't buy anything expensive till the cheap ones are thriving! Only problem is, once you start acros its really hard to stop!

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have acro supporting parameters you can keep pretty much any acro

There are tons of people that report their acros browning out or greening up, and there are also people who have their ugly ducklings color up in time.

first paragraph break I was assuming is a given

second paragraph break isn’t anything to do hardship of keeping acros, that’s the acro adjusting/morphing to the different environment- all the more reason I mentioned stay away form Mari pieces

I wasnt trying to over simplify anything, sorry if it reads that way.

Other than the pathogen that targeted just my acros and killed nearly all of them I had grown to huge colonies over a decade, acros haven’t been difficult providing you do the “basics” and stability (rock solid stability I’m talking)

I restarted the tank and after the cycle my first acro went in and 4 months laters 90 acros everyone is great- brand new set up, brand new cycled rock etc

Not trying to be pompous just saying it’s not “difficult” if you follow the guidelines that have been laid out

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a classic like green slimer. They aren’t expensive are Aquacultured and you’ll never look back and regret putting it in the tank.
Another Green slimmer vote. It was my first SPS Acro. Now it’s a weed.

OP
OP
MelReefer

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Green slimmer vote. It was my first SPS Acro. Now it’s a weed.
I will definetely look into the green Slimer. Seems pretty cheap too. It’s unfortunate that I already purchased the jf solar flare. Probably should have done a test run with the green Slimer. I was told by my lfs(who I didn’t purchase the coral from) that millies were easier. Oh well, my levels are fine and my tank is stable so we will see how it goes.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found plating montipora and encrusting montipora to be very easy. Also, I’ve heard that pocilapora are easy too, but I’ve never kept any pocilipora. Just be careful as some of these can outgrow other corals and turn into a nuisance.

That being said, I’ve always kept a plating montipora. On my third SPS build in 14 years, one of the first corals I’m going to put in my new tanks will be a purple montipora capriconus.

OP
OP
MelReefer

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found plating montipora and encrusting montipora to be very easy. Also, I’ve heard that pocilapora are easy too, but I’ve never kept any pocilipora. Just be careful as some of these can outgrow other corals and turn into a nuisance.

That being said, I’ve always kept a plating montipora. On my third SPS build in 14 years, one of the first corals I’m going to put in my new tanks will be a purple montipora capriconus.
I love Montipora but I have a nano tank so the monti would just shade everything

Back