Came home and my torch and hammer looked like this. What’s going on.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your test result is like 2 months old so not relevant. For LPS you want nitrates at 10 to 15 and phosphate. 05 to .1. Low to moderate flow depending on the coral and 100 to 250 par depending on the LPS coral.

If you have a GHA outbreak cut lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only no whites. Get diverse cleaner crew with tuxedo urchin and turbo. Lots of manual removal with weekly water changes and increase magnesium to 1500
That’s not the best approach, sure algae does like certain spectrums, but the root cause is nutrients…

I used to light my tanks with white Halides…no algae

Anyway, TBH the prognosis for those corals isn’t all that positive ….

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP it's difficult to give you an idea of what might be wrong without current accurate full tank parameters. Euphyllia are finicky corals and one or more parameters issue can cause their decline. Sometimes this decline is going on for months inside the coral and you are unaware until finally the look bad on the outside too

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water changes actually do very little to lower phosphates because it's bound in the rocks and sand. Whatever amount you remove in the water exchange is quickly replenish with leaching phosphates from rock and sand. Certain chemical media obviously help but modifying the intake amount you add to the tank is essential along with good export via skimmer. Fuge, etc... a lot of tanks run perfectly with elevated phosphates. I think it depends on your nitrates levels and having enough corals to support the higher level and an established biome that can deter nuisance algae even though the level is elevated. Mine read .22. Today.
Agree! - I meant 'lots of water changes'. :). But - you're correct if it's been high for a while - it could be on rock - IME - its more on rock with nothing else (ie. a new tank with no coralline, corals, etc)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back