Camera help

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first camera. It is a Canon Rebel xs. Is this a good starter camera? It came with the 18-55mm lens. All my pics have been pretty bad. They are getting better. Is it possible to take close up with that lens? Or do I need a better one? And is there any pointers someone can give to help take a better pic?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get the close ups i think your looking for you are going to need a canon 100mm 2.8 macro lense and run about 750 new. There is a cheaper way to "ghetto" rig it, truely its not ghetto rigging anything most ppl do it to there macro lense in the photogerphy feild for a better and closer veiw. There called "kenko extensions" It's a pack of three for 160 that turns any lense into a "Macro" lense by moving the lense it's self away from the body and thust giving it a closer shot.... Me right now i have a canon 50d. I would saggest going with the extensions unlless two things, one your like me and are very serious about phogerphy (then youll still get the extenders) or two you have deep nough pockets to throw 750 at a new lense just for "coral shots"

Last edited:

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get the close ups i think your looking for you are going to need a canon 100mm 2.8 macro lense and run about 750 new. There is a cheaper way to "ghetto" rig it, truely its not ghetto rigging anything most ppl do it to there macro lense in the photogerphy feild for a better and closer veiw.

Frank, you do not need to rush out and spend that kind of money to get close ups. This shot was done with a standard 18-55mm lens. You just need to learn some of the basic settings on the camera your using. I can't remember what my F Number or aperture time was but still a nice shot.

meteorshower.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pizzapro83

Pizzapro83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I need to know how to do. Do you photoshop that to get it to look like that?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to learn some basics first, ill help you with some basic terms and knowlage. Your exposure is how long your camera stays open allowing light to enter and make the image, to long open will over exspose a pic hints reason why some pics are white. Your apitcher (sp) is how wide your camera lense is open... meaning the mmore light let in. What is your iso first off?

Another quickie you wont have the same apitchure and shutter speed (real term for exosure) for most pics. Each pic is unique in setting due to you wont need a longer shutter speed cause what your shooting is lit better, or you wont need a wide apiture because its lit well. Lighting is the biggest roll in photogerphy, maybe because in greek thats what photogephy mean " writing with light"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back