Can anyone relate to my rant?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s all tonight?

I was thinking earlier about posting a thread to vent but decided against it. Didnt want to be a bother. JDnKy posted about his sump failing and it got me thinking about the bee in my bonnet I had earlier.

And here it is..

I have had a Nyos skimmer pretty much since they first came out. I have yet to tune it for more than a week. At one point it sat in my sump for a year as an giant aerator. I miss my Vertex so much. It pulled think scum and was bulletproof... until the pump failed anyway , and I could not find a replacement back then.

Is it me or do you all have a piece of equipment that drives you crazy or wish you never bought?

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my skimmer. I bought an old Deltec recirculating skimmer with two Eheim 1200 pumps. It works well, but it's so old you can't find replacement parts for it, and it is rather loud.

I should have went with a Vertex or Reef Octopus skimmer.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain but there are always going to be fickle components. I've read many posts from people complaining about how hard it is to tune Vertex skimmers, and many from Nyos owners saying they are some of the best skimmers ever. Just got a brand new Aquamaxx skimmer, not set-up yet but I hope it is as good as some say. I'm moving over from a Reef Octopus that I feel is just a tad undersized, nothing really wrong with it as it has been a solid performer.

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my skimmer. I bought an old Deltec recirculating skimmer with two Eheim 1200 pumps. It works well, but it's so old you can't find replacement parts for it, and it is rather loud.

I should have went with a Vertex or Reef Octopus skimmer.

I've got a Reef Octopus that I'll sell you super cheap. Works great, only thing is, it's so old you can't get a new pump or any parts for it hahaha. Seriously though, when I contacted coralvue about a new pump and they told me I was out of luck it kinda ticked me off. I'll be getting a Lifereef when the pump goes (soon). No more proprietary pumps on skimmers for this guy.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s all tonight?

I was thinking earlier about posting a thread to vent but decided against it. Didnt want to be a bother. JDnKy posted about his sump failing and it got me thinking about the bee in my bonnet I had earlier.

And here it is..

I have had a Nyos skimmer pretty much since they first came out. I have yet to tune it for more than a week. At one point it sat in my sump for a year as an giant aerator. I miss my Vertex so much. It pulled think scum and was bulletproof... until the pump failed anyway , and I could not find a replacement back then.

Is it me or do you all have a piece of equipment that drives you crazy or wish you never bought?

I have a Nyos skimmer sitting in my garage, it worked for about 6 mos then something went wrong with the pump.. for that kind of money it should work as well as it is pretty. I didn't bother to send it in for repair because I was too mad. On top of that, it really wasn't that easy to clean.. I replaced it with a Bubble Magus, which is better - not finicky, no issues..

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nyos skimmer sitting in my garage, it worked for about 6 mos then something went wrong with the pump.. for that kind of money it should work as well as it is pretty. I didn't bother to send it in for repair because I was too mad. On top of that, it really wasn't that easy to clean.. I replaced it with a Bubble Magus, which is better - not finicky, no issues..
Good call

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I’m not the only one.

I should have mentioned I am not bashing Nyos in any way. More just my frustration I can’t get it dialed in.

Everyone has that one peice of equipment that drives them nuts I would think.People are down on Rios pumps but they were bulletproof for me for many years.

Maybe I should use that bullet to put into my Nyos.:mad:

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s all tonight?

And here it is..

I have run my NYOS QUANTUM 120 Protein Skimmer since 3.18.18

It is more than the 3-way adjustment if you figure the water level in the sump it is 4 way and the water needs to maintain constant level so it stays steady or you have to adjust frequently.

I followed the directions of 'water quantity and air quantity can be set separately and independently of each other. An approximate setting of the water level is achieved by means of the water setting pipe, while the especially precise micro-adjustment screw, which is also included, allows an additional fine-tuning of the water level.'

It did take my old dumb self some time to figure it out though. Once it all clicked I was good to go. I really like its performance and being dead silent.

Hope this helps.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... mine was an aquamaxx cones q-2 skimmer I had for my 75 that I am currently still in. Tried for 6 months to get it dialed in. Tried to get support. Nothing. One day about 14 months ago I had enough, yanked it out of the sump and marched it through the house, out the front door, under the back tire of my truck and ran the crap over. Been skimmerless ever since and tank has been awesome.

Flash forward to now, getting ready to stand up a 137 gal tank, buy a Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer. Now I read your experience and starting to get a little nervous. It doesn't matter. Chinese crap. German crap. It will all die under the KO2 tires of death if they do not perform! Think I may need to start recording all the crap that gets ran over and put on YouTube.
  • Xbox one (kids were bad).
  • Skimmer.
  • Ex wifes toy Furby (She threw it at me first)
  • LG G4 smartphone (kept turning off)
  • Jabra Skype headset (cable went bad)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have this problem all the time. Then, I decided that I was not going to use any equipment that did not have a 5 year reliability track record with awesome performance.

I did break this with DC pump - regretted it. Broke it again with Vertex 130 skimmer - regretted it. Pretty steadfast on the rule now. Now I am just running a few Euro Reefs, ASMs and LifeReef skimmer - turns out, these are as good, or better, than any new skimmer anyway. I also really like the Octopus models when they had Sicce PSK pumps, but the newer pumps do not perform as well, IMO - these are hard to find anymore.

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to see other have misbehaving equipment and not just me.

So after my rant I spent 20 minutes again trying to dial it in. It sits in my sump so water level is spot on. Got the right height also. I got a nice foam coming out so I closed it up.

So today, dang thing over flowing again.

Too bad scriptmonkey is in MD. I gladly sacrifice this thing to the tire gods.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C'mon people, it's just a skimmer for Petes sake. Really not that complicated a device. Everybody's system is different so what works for one will not always work for the other even if the systems are very similar. One thing to note, manufacturers suggested set-up is just that SUGGESTED (aka RECOMMENDED), sometimes you have to scribble outside the lines to make it work as these things are not set in stone as there are way too many variables from one system to the next.
For instance, my brand new aquamaxx went in the sump this morning, no pre break in, no rinse, no nothing, plop it in the sump, plug it in and let it work. Within three hours it had built up a foam head, seems like quite a powerful skimmer and the pump may want to overpower it so my guess is I will need to raise the skimmer a little more than my initial starting pint and guess what, it will be in shallower water than what the directions call for but if that's what it takes to make it work correctly in MY system then so be it. The best part of it is I wont need to drive my truck over a new skimmer because I couldnt figure it out, what a waste of money BTW, sure wish I had 300 clams to just throw away because my skimmer ticked me off.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C'mon people, it's just a skimmer for Petes sake. Really not that complicated a device. Everybody's system is different so what works for one will not always work for the other even if the systems are very similar. One thing to note, manufacturers suggested set-up is just that SUGGESTED (aka RECOMMENDED), sometimes you have to scribble outside the lines to make it work as these things are not set in stone as there are way too many variables from one system to the next.
For instance, my brand new aquamaxx went in the sump this morning, no pre break in, no rinse, no nothing, plop it in the sump, plug it in and let it work. Within three hours it had built up a foam head, seems like quite a powerful skimmer and the pump may want to overpower it so my guess is I will need to raise the skimmer a little more than my initial starting pint and guess what, it will be in shallower water than what the directions call for but if that's what it takes to make it work correctly in MY system then so be it. The best part of it is I wont need to drive my truck over a new skimmer because I couldnt figure it out, what a waste of money BTW, sure wish I had 300 clams to just throw away because my skimmer ticked me off.

I'm sorry, hopefully yours will not turn out to be a giant pile of garbage and you do not regret your decision too.

But it felt soooooo good!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back