Can clown be happy alone?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a single clownfish. I planned to get her a partner. But she’s a atypical clown that harasses me mercilessly every time I stick my hand in the tank. I’m not looking forward to having to fight off 2 of them every week. So, what do u think? Can it be happy w out a partner?

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that she’s currently in a 20g and will be joining my 110g once she’s been qt’d. Any chance I can expect her to chill out in the larger tank? As in she will have a space she protects but otherwise is ok?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns tend to be happier in pair and more active. But you do not have to have pairs. It's normal for a female to harrass new fish until she gets use to them. It's just their attitude of wanting everyone to know who is boss

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She'll be fine. One of my LFS had a single clown for several years in a 30 gallon bio cube.

And yes if you get a second you'll just be battling 2 at a time.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. I’m starting to think she’s gonna have to stay in the 20g Display fuge until I have my other fish settled in.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I re-read your post. So the 20g is a QT tank and permanent home is the 110?

Happier with 2 yes but not needed. Itll probably still go after your hands in the 110.

I'm currently planning on putting 2 baby clowns in a 10 gallon tank. o_O

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a single clownfish. I planned to get her a partner. But she’s a atypical clown that harasses me mercilessly every time I stick my hand in the tank. I’m not looking forward to having to fight off 2 of them every week. So, what do u think? Can it be happy w out a partner?

What type of clown? Some species are more aggressive than others. One clownfish by itself should be fine, but attempting again to pair your fish with another small clown seems to be preferable to the fish (if they can make it through the establishing dominance phases).

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I re-read your post. So the 20g is a QT tank and permanent home is the 110?

Happier with 2 yes but not needed. Itll probably still go after your hands in the 110.

I'm currently planning on putting 2 baby clowns in a 10 gallon tank. o_O

Correct.

Really?!? Wow they’re little buggers aren’t they? I was hoping it would chill out in the bigger tank.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of clown? Some species are more aggressive than others. One clownfish by itself should be fine, but attempting again to pair your fish with another small clown seems to be preferable to the fish (if they can make it through the establishing dominance phases).

The clown came as part of a whole system I purchased. I was told it’s an ocellaris but I don’t think she is. Can’t figure out what kind really

1B93DBFE-A4BB-403B-8C73-48E9F60C5653.png

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The clown came as part of a whole system I purchased. I was told it’s an ocellaris but I don’t think she is. Can’t figure out what kind really

1B93DBFE-A4BB-403B-8C73-48E9F60C5653.png

A few of the differences between ocellaris and perculas include the color of the color of the eyes, the number of the dorsal spines, and the thickness of the black lines of the body. Typically, perculas have more orange in the eyes, 10 dorsal spines (vs 11 on the ocellaris), and thicker black lines on the body. If you can get a clearer picture of the head and side then we can probably help with the ID.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are part of the damsel family. Most damsels are mean as ####. Luckily clowns only seem to be mean to each other and anything that dares come near their house. Well most the time. If yours is a real pain in the butt maybe these https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/textured-nitrile-black-fragging-gloves-sunlight-supply.html

That’s not a bad idea. She’s pretty small but, if she gets you at the right spot, it’s no fun. I can’t beleive I’m considering armour against a fish lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back