Can clowns damage nem?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 10, 2020
Messages
1,079
Reaction score
1,042
Location
Atlanta
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this is a stupid question, knowing how delicate nems can be. My clownfish, which I’ve had for about 4 months, have finally paired up and as of the past 48 hours, started hosting my BTA. It’s a relatively small nem, probably 1.5-2” diameter when open. Tonight, I witnessed what I assume is them “getting ready for bed” and being rather rough with the nem, both head-butting it. It’s foot is in a hole in the rock, and if it needs to, it can retract into the rock work. I went out and purchased a second BTA to hopefully share the load, once it acclimates and adjusts obviously. Do they only host at night, hopefully allowing the nem a chance to heal, or should I keep a cautious eye out? Again, sorry if this is a dumb question. Though not new to the reef scene, this symbiotic relationship is new to me!
 
Clowns can absolutely get over zealous with their host anemone. Some breeds of clown are worse than others in this regard. Once a clown takes a liking to a host, it will spend most of it's time in/near said host, and may even try to run off other fish from the area.
 
The two ocellaris are the only two fish in the tank. I hope they don’t harm the nem too much.. I’ve been feeding the BTA twice a week (not stuffing it though) hoping to help it grow larger
 
I seen more than one nem pummeled and trampled on by clowns
 
Shouldnt have to feed the nem to much, maybe once a week. Clowns should feed the nem for you if they are indeed being hosted
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new