Can Colts / Kenya tree support themselves horizontally?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is starting to feel like a real reef again as in I am having growth issues with too much coral. It's been a long road after a hard move over a year ago. Anyway I have 20+ frags of this leather floating around.(colt or kenya?) I bought the original frag about 3 years ago because it has a nice blue base. Only the original colony shows this and the pieces that drop off look more ordinary. Over the years I've gotten a couple other colonies but they never get very large. Branches drop off all the time.

There is no frag market now that I'm out in the middle of nowhere. So much so I no longer run a frag tank. If I leave these too long they are going to be stuck all over the rock all over the tank. So it's time to start being proactive. While I do have empty spots on my rock work they are reserved for other nicer corals. At least at this point I'm not considering throwing them away. The only other large spot I have is my overflow. So what if I glued them all to the overflow box? Can they support themselves horizontally? I could in theory glue a small shelf to the overflow and attach them that way but I'd rather not go that crazy. Since this would be semi permanent I'd like to get some outside opinions rather than just do it and end up not liking it.

The other option would be to bite the bullet and setup a frag tank. I have a few more things starting to grow out of control, but if I'm going to spend several hundred dollars on tank stuff I'd rather it be other things for now.

Pictures of the colony, most of the frags, and a fts for reference are included. It's a mixed reef with no domination other than the soft corals grow faster than the sps / lps.

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_9800.JPG

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back