Can I “bake” rock?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much slower to work than muriatic acid, though. You can strip all of the organics (and a bit of rock, but not much) off in a few hours with muriatic. I like seeing all the organic matter denatured and collecting as a thick brown foam on top of the water. It's true vinegar is safer, because it's a more dilute solution of a weaker acid. But they're still both acids and you can dilute muriatic down to whatever concentration you want to use.
Completely agree. I only offer it as an alternative for those not comfortable using muriatic acid.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not worth the risk especially with fumes and toxins that are potentially in crevices. Hot ( not boiling water) is safe as is bleaching.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Baked rock ??/

ahhh yes:

maxresdefault.jpg

livingcolors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not! especially if there was any exposure to zoanthids. That holds true even if the rocks have been outside of the aquarium for some time.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't cook your rock!
I am currently in the process of re-curing some of my old school Fiji that I have left over from my previous build for my new SCA 150 build.

GO buy yourself a Bute can and some powerheads and let your re-curing start the process.

upload_2019-1-19_9-46-16.png

Last edited:

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sodium percarbonate (dry form of H2O2) think of oxi-clean with no additives, to soak my rocks and to clean empty tanks and equipment. Put the rocks in a bucket of water and add several large scoops of the sodium percarbonate. The rocks will foam and bubble like crazy. H2O2 attacks organic material and breaks it down. The best thing is when it’s done a couple days later all you have is a bucket of dirty water and rocks. No bleach, no acids. Just give it a good hard rinse to remove any loose stuff that remains. I live in AZ so I then put the rocks in the sun to dry.

I also make a watery paste and clean the grout between the tiles on my floor. Put it on wait 10-15 minutes scrub lightly with a brush and wipe up with a wet towel. Works like a charm. This stuff has all kinds of uses around the house.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are talking about 6 lbs - 1 rock? In a hurry, go buy a rock at your LFS. Not in a hurry, leave outside in the sun to bake (if it ever comes out). Why mess with it, is my thinking. Lifes too short

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sodium percarbonate (dry form of H2O2) think of oxi-clean with no additives, to soak my rocks and to clean empty tanks and equipment. Put the rocks in a bucket of water and add several large scoops of the sodium percarbonate. The rocks will foam and bubble like crazy. H2O2 attacks organic material and breaks it down. The best thing is when it’s done a couple days later all you have is a bucket of dirty water and rocks. No bleach, no acids. Just give it a good hard rinse to remove any loose stuff that remains. I live in AZ so I then put the rocks in the sun to dry.

I also make a watery paste and clean the grout between the tiles on my floor. Put it on wait 10-15 minutes scrub lightly with a brush and wipe up with a wet towel. Works like a charm. This stuff has all kinds of uses around the house.
Great tip. Thanks. I always use hydrogen peroxide to finish the cleaning of any of my contaminated QTs of any bio materials. If it's good enough for laboratories, it's good enough for my tanks.

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't cook your rock!
I am currently in the process of re-curing some of my old school Fiji that I have left over from my previous build for my new SCA 150 build.

GO buy yourself a Bute can and some powerheads and let your re-curing start the process.

upload_2019-1-19_9-46-16.png
IMHO best way to cure your rock

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use sodium percarbonate (dry form of H2O2) think of oxi-clean with no additives

H2O2 attacks organic material and breaks it down. The best thing is when it’s done a couple days later all you have is a bucket of dirty water and rocks.
This is very interesting, I will definitely give it a go. Where do you buy it?

playapixie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ACK. No. Not unless you want to risk palythoa poisoning. Plenty of cases of this in a quick google search.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back