Can I convert cyano to algae?

Cyanobacteria filament densities lie on a continuum that is determined by the amount of food, light, CO2 and waste removal. As cyanobacteria grow in length and number, and depending on conditions, they either stay in place to produce a visible film, or disperse to optimize living conditions and remain invisible to the aquarist.

If a tank has a large amount of Co2 could that give cyano a advantage?
 
If a tank has a large amount of Co2 could that give cyano a advantage?
Good question! At first blush I would say “yes”, high CO2 would have a beneficial effect. But then I got to thinking, does cyanobacteria take up CO2 or bicarbonate? I need a refresher on cyanobacteria preference for inorganic carbon.
 
Another question I have is, what happens if you just let it run its course? Lets say the cyano is just on the sand bed. Would it eventually consume what ever it is consuming and then die off?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 25.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new