Can I do this with success?

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to remove the center brace from my 75g...currently empty....if removed I will replace it with 1/4" acrylic and nylon thumbscrews.

Here is the question....Can I get away with keeping Softies,zoas,Lps with a single 250w halide and 2 T5's?......I also MAY DIY a couple actinic LED strips for the extra color pop for the zoas and Lps....only real softie will be GSP....for some reason I love that stuff....:bigsmile:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light wise yes. but if you hang that light in the center, it will heat that acrylic up. I also would not remove the center brace. that is asking for trouble.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you want to remove the center brace to allow light through from a centered MH fixture. I personally wouldn't remove the brace, but use smaller fixtures on either side of the brace, or more T5s or LEDs. With 1 centered MH bulb it will be quite dark at the ends of that 48" tank. You might wind up with great growth and color in the center, and not much on the sides.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure if it's because it was built with 1/2" glass or not, but my 120g had no center brace for 5 years now with no issues.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will bow and probably will fail over time... If it breaks the best option is to replace with a new top or cut acryllic to fit and bolt in, but that's meant as a stop gap to prevent failure and get a different top...

75G is lots of water to land on the floor :(

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's because it was built with 1/2" glass or not, but my 120g had no center brace for 5 years now with no issues.

I had an old 55 with no center brace but the glass was thicker on it also. I had a newer 55 and the center brace broke and it was bowing something scary. IMO I wouldn't cut it.

Back