can I get away with no powerheads

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmooney31
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bmooney31

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Location
kansas city
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a 120 and I"m gonna use it as a fowlr. I dont really want to use powerheads cause I want the tank to have a clean look. if I got a larger return pump could I get by with out using powerheads? the tank had dual drains so I would probably go with dual return lines also. I this will work what size pump would you guys use?
 
It might work but most likely algae problems. I would use a big pump......2000 - 3000 GPH (Check out Reeflo)
 
I wouldn't recommend it personally.... Unless you use a hammerhead at Like 7500gph I wouldn't even attempt it.... Being fish only means it's gonna get real messy and every thing is gonna just settle... Hide a tunze in the rocks or something...or go with a closed loop that's what I did zero power heads or wires very clean.. Hth
 
Second that as well. Without higher flow you would likely have more algae problems. Closed loop would minimize visual impact without needing to get a monster sump pump and overflow to provide that flow.
 
can someone explain to me the whole closed loop process. So do you have two pumps then? one to run the closed loop and one to return water from your sump to the display? what happens when you cut the return pump does it create a siphon and over flow your sump? or is the closed loop pump plumbed to the sump at all?
 
Yeah 2 pumps one is a closed loop means it runs like a canister filter it's a sealed system and has nothing to do with the sump you drill the bottom of the tank and run the returns and drain to the pump... Check my thread in my signature I run one on my current display there is nothing visible and tons of flow...
 
I have no powerheads.

280.jpg


277.jpg
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new