Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with a 3.75" hoevens wrasse? Theres also a

4" sailfin
4" blue hippo
3.5" niger triggerfish
6" foxface
9" lionfish
Will they all get along for the time being? Ill separate the tangs obviously when they get big

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with a 3.75" hoevens wrasse? Theres also a

4" sailfin
4" blue hippo
3.5" niger triggerfish
6" foxface
Will they all get along for the time being? Ill separate the tangs obviously when they get big
IMO - the lion is going to grow faster than the wrasse, and put it at risk of being eaten.

Jay

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar stock with a volitan and it didn't go well. I had to target feed it and even then the tangs and trigger would dart over and try to get the food. Then the niger started nipping. I would love a lion fish but I just don't think they fit well in a heavily stocked tank with fast swimmers.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would not. with lionfish, If a fish can fit in another fish's mouth. . . Sooner or later it will". With a lion, they will attempt what wont fit in its' mouth

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar stock with a volitan and it didn't go well. I had to target feed it and even then the tangs and trigger would dart over and try to get the food. Then the niger started nipping. I would love a lion fish but I just don't think they fit well in a heavily stocked tang with fast swimmers.
My lion eats the chunk of food asap so no problems yet, once the triggerfish grows larger though he may steal it, can I add tiny hermit crabs or will the lion eat them? What type of cuc can i add that wont get eaten, my wrasse doesnt touch snails

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lion eats the chunk of food asap so no problems yet, once the triggerfish grows larger though he may steal it, can I add tiny hermit crabs or will the lion eat them? What type of cuc can i add that wont get eaten, my wrasse doesnt touch snails
With my niger I had no CUC. I had him for over 6 years. Beautiful fish and then he decided to start munching on LPS colonies so I rehomed him. I had a giant hermit crab with a shell larger than a golf ball for a few years then the niger went after it. He chewed a hole in its shell, which was conch shell I found on vaca to the ocean. You may have better luck. It seems like he got worse with age. Heck that's what my Gal tells me :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back