Can I still call this a Durso?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm putting together a small tank with spare parts I have around. And I came up with this idea for the drain:

IMG_0466.jpeg

Can I still consider it a Durso? But more importantly, does anyone see anything wrong with this configuration?"

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would work but your water level in the tank is going to be very low. You'll also want a cap with a hole in it on the pvc pipe on top of the tee or it will be noisy.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return gets clogged, it's gonna come out of the top pipe

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work but your water level in the tank is going to be very low. You'll also want a cap with a hole in it on the pvc pipe on top of the tee or it will be noisy

Yes, I hadn't though of that. The water level will be too low.

Thank you!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can turn the drain up to control water level. You would have been better drilling your hole lower and have the drain pointed straight up. But it will make noise. I did this on a frag tank

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm putting together a small tank with spare parts I have around. And I came up with this idea for the drain:

IMG_0466.jpeg

Can I still consider it a Durso? But more importantly, does anyone see anything wrong with this configuration?"
Its an external durso. They were fairly common in the late 90s to min 2000s.
Turn the internal elbow at an angle to control water level.
Cap (don't glue) the top of the breather pipe and drill a small hole in it. Adjust hole size to help with noise.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant drain. If your drain gets clogged

I thought you meant drain... and I hoped the screen on the end would prevent that from happening.

But overall, I don't think this will be a good without installing an overflow box.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to turn the elbow inside the tank around so it's facing up. Your design is pulling the water from the middle of the tank. With a reef aquarium, and most salt water - you want to pull the water off from the surface of the aquarium. You may need to cut the elbow to make it shorter so that the water level isn't too close to the top of the tank.

If you don't pull from the surface then proteins and orgranics build up on the surface and create what looks like a oily skin. These not only are not pretty to look at but impede gas exchange between the aquarium water and the outside air.

Dave B

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to turn the elbow inside the tank around so it's facing up. Your design is pulling the water from the middle of the tank. With a reef aquarium, and most salt water - you want to pull the water off from the surface of the aquarium. You may need to cut the elbow to make it shorter so that the water level isn't too close to the top of the tank.

If you don't pull from the surface then proteins and orgranics build up on the surface and create what looks like a oily skin. These not only are not pretty to look at but impede gas exchange between the aquarium water and the outside air.

Dave B

I have since moved on from the design in the picture.

I’m just gonna go with an internal overflow box. I just hope I have one small enough not to take up the tank.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 48 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back