Can ICH be treated with out copper based meds

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the topic of ICH has been longed discussed. I wanted to see if anyone has any treatment that do not involve copper based meds. My main tank has a lot of snails and shrimps. For the record in my tank I am not sure if I have ich just yet. I noticed one white spot on my clown wrasse. I plan on catching in the am and going through the whole quarantine process with copper based meds. I wanted to see if someone had a non copper based med that I could use for my main tank just in case this is infact ich.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed them a varied diet and keep it healthy until the outbreak stops. Chances are it won’t come back or if it does it will be a while.

People act like Ich needs to be completely irradiated which is very difficult for the average hobbyist. It’s just aesthetic for the most part.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the topic of ICH has been longed discussed. I wanted to see if anyone has any treatment that do not involve copper based meds. My main tank has a lot of snails and shrimps. For the record in my tank I am not sure if I have ich just yet. I noticed one white spot on my clown wrasse. I plan on catching in the am and going through the whole quarantine process with copper based meds. I wanted to see if someone had a non copper based med that I could use for my main tank just in case this is infact ich.
Try hyposalinty, but also fallow tank for up to 6 weeks if possible. Ich and velvet are those diseases you hope to never face but sadly you will face it with sensitive fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed them a varied diet and keep it healthy until the ice outbreak stops. Chances are it won’t come back or if it does it will be a while.
Just keeping them on a varied diet won’t work unfortunately, my tang has gained it and he was absolutely fine eating and everything, I honestly think Ich is always in every aquarium it just ‘waits’ for the perfect time to spread

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keeping them on a varied diet won’t work unfortunately, my tang has gained it and he was absolutely fine eating and everything, I honestly think Ich is always in every aquarium it just ‘waits’ for the perfect time to spread
Yea. I read some post where people said soak food in garlic to help and they swear by it. I have no idea if that's true or not to help with the actual outbreak but more to keep fish actively eating to help fight of disease.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s probably more to help the fish through it and I hope my tang can fight his Ich outbreak, he’s one of the fish I’d struggle to ever replace with another of the same species

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are not any consistently effective ich medications that can be used in tanks with invertebrates. Polyp Lab Medic is a peroxide salt that should work, but the dose seems too low to stop full blown infections. The dose needs to be low so that it won’t kill the inverts.
Don’t mistake it - it is a real killer and cannot always be controlled by a good diet…too many people learn that the hard way! There is something called propagule pressure - the disease itself stresses the fish at some point, overriding any benefit from a good environment.
Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back