Can Tentacles Grow Anemones?

shartpants007

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2021
Messages
115
Reaction score
45
Location
NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question which might seem silly to a more experienced saltwater aquarist: can anemones grow back from severed tentacles? Unfortunately, I lost a BTA yesterday, but it dropped a few little tentacles into the tank which are still bright green after several hours. Can they grow a whole new nem, like certain sea stars can regenerate from a single limb, or should I remove them when I do my water change?
 
I dont believe so as it is the body that feeds and supports them. The cells are likely not dead yet hence the color. Leave it though and see if a miracle could occur. Starfish can accomplish reproduction in this fashion but not nems
 
Thanks guys. I guessed as much, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Would certainly have been nice to get my nem back for free.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new