Can to high of levels of Calcium, DKH, and Magnesium be bad for fish or will it just precipitate out

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can to high of levels of calcium, DKH, and magnesium be bad for fish or will it just precipitate out of the water?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read a thread where someone had very high magnesium for the better part of a year, I believe it was close to 2000ppm. All the fish were doing fine, but the vast majority of the corals and inverts were dead. If you were doing a fish only system then there would be no need to keep any of them high.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously it can be bad if high enough, but how high are you talking about?

Well it was kind of an experiment, I tested the water parameters the first day then the next day and I figured out how much calcium, DKH and Magnesium I needed. I was dosing that and stuff seemed to be purpling up (coralline algae) so I tried to add a little more to see what would happen (If it would purple up a little faster) and two of my fish died. :( Do you think this might have been why?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was kind of an experiment, I tested the water parameters the first day then the next day and I figured out how much calcium, DKH and Magnesium I needed. I was dosing that and stuff seemed to be purpling up (coralline algae) so I tried to add a little more to see what would happen (If it would purple up a little faster) and two of my fish died. :( Do you think this might have been why?

Not likely, no. Alkalinity would be the most sensitive since it can suddenly alter pH and change CO2 levels. Do you know how high you raised alkalinity and with what additive?

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested yet, I have been using liquid calcium by Kent marine for the calcium, my DKH hasn't changed much so I didn't need to add much and I was using purple tech by Kent marine which has magnesium in it and I balanced them to get the right parameters. Then I started adding a little more to see what would happen, then the fish got sick and died. So I was thinking that this might be the reason.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely, no. Alkalinity would be the most sensitive since it can suddenly alter pH and change CO2 levels. Do you know how high you raised alkalinity and with what additive?

Calcium 600
DKH 16
Magnesium 1400

These are the perameters, I didn't realize the levels were getting so high. Do you think this is was made the fish sick?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium 600
DKH 16
Magnesium 1400

These are the perameters, I didn't realize the levels were getting so high. Do you think this is was made the fish sick?

I doubt it, but I'd certainly let them fall, especially the alk.

Jr3740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can to high of levels of calcium, DKH, and magnesium be bad for fish or will it just precipitate out of the water?
I doubt it, but I'd certainly let them fall, especially the alk.
I did exactly what you did . I add it to much Kent marine purple to see if I get a faster result and the nex day my smallest fish die. I think that’s what cost my fish to died. Did you ever find out if that was the issue,the adding to much Kent marine purple to the tank.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back