Can we coexist with major pests?

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I broke down my 75 gal because the algae (green hair, caulerpa and others) got out of control and it was a huge eyesore in the middle of the room. I moved the livestock to a new 30 gal setup and it was nice until I added a couple pieces of easy to keep corals. Nice I have bubble algae and aptasia. I have considered just going fish only, but wonder if there is a way to manage this and keep my reef. Any thoughts? Life is kind of crazy right now, but I really don't want to give up on it altogether.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course there is! In my opinion: people freak out wayyyyy too easily for no reason. Algae should never be a reason to break down a tank.

Stick with me, I’ll help you out. First, how old is your tank? Get a test on nitrates and phosphates and report back.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things are going to be impossible to 100% eradicate. Most mature tanks long term will end up maintaining some kind of natural and manual control methods to keep it in check. Unfortunately most of the good conditions that will be helpful to corals will also be good conditions for bubble algae and aip.

I go with a combination of natural method - emerald crab and true pep shrimp, as well as manual with my regular maintenance. Ie. When I see aip getting too big I squirt some F-aip on the big ones. Peps usually go after small first. When bubble gets too much, manually remove. Key for bubble control for me is that it seems emerald will go after gha first bc its easier, so, make sure you have plenty of other grazers, like snail, urchin,, and hermits to keep GHA down, this will force emerald crabs to go afternthe bubbles

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I broke down my 75 gal because the algae (green hair, caulerpa and others) got out of control and it was a huge eyesore in the middle of the room. I moved the livestock to a new 30 gal setup and it was nice until I added a couple pieces of easy to keep corals. Nice I have bubble algae and aptasia. I have considered just going fish only, but wonder if there is a way to manage this and keep my reef. Any thoughts? Life is kind of crazy right now, but I really don't want to give up on it altogether.
Get a UV sterlizer and peppermint shrimp. That should solve both issues

OP
OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, everyone. As an easy first step, I stopped by my lfs and picked up a couple peppermint shrimp yesterday.

OP
OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course there is! In my opinion: people freak out wayyyyy too easily for no reason. Algae should never be a reason to break down a tank.

Stick with me, I’ll help you out. First, how old is your tank? Get a test on nitrates and phosphates and report back.
If you saw my previous tank you might retract that statement It was rough.

My new one... the setup is a little under a year old. But it was seeded with some matrix rubble from my old tank, and the fish have been with me for several years. But the sand and rocks are only as old as the setup.

I'll see if I can run those tests this weekend and report back.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider some Halymenia for your tank as well. There are many attractive species, and they're excellent nutrient exporters. I had clumps growing in two builds, but I removed them and put them in another. Perhaps not coincidentally, I now have valonia outbreaks in those tanks...but none (or very little) in the one with loads of Halymenia in it.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia < Berghia, even just a few...they will destroy them. As for the algae, hit it hard with a pincushion or tuxedo urchin, a few blue or red leg hermits and a few more snails, Mexican Turbo, I've even had luck with Astrea..... stay with it, you'll beat it....

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tigahboy maintains some beautiful Bubble algae (Valonia) in one of his planted marine systems, though in this case its growth is probably minimized from competition with other macroalgae.

OP
OP
K

kelp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. Sorry I disappeared for a while...

The peppermint shrimp worked like a charm and knocked out the aiptasia in no time!

The tuxedo urchin hasn't done much (that I see), but I really like him anyway So I'm going to pick up an emerald crab and some more hermits for the gha.

I've actually decided that I like bubble algea! It's pretty, and a nice contrast to all my gorgonians. So I'll leave it be.

So still working in this, but making progress. I also have to get back into a good water change schedule...

Thanks again for all the advice.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An algaecide like algaefix works on bubble algae. I havent had any luck with emerald crabs and bubble algae but ive heard pitho crabs are similar to emeralds and work well.

As for the aiptasia, ive tried everything from peppermint, aiptasia x, copperband, and filefish, and what finally did it were the berghias.

View Badges
If you love this hobby like I do like everyone here be patient you can do it just takes time and we have plenty of that .people don't realize they actually have time turn off tv turn to off phone and enjoy your tank see about it don't be lazy do the maintenance and you will have alot less problems.don't give up thats easy win the battle. see how you can improve the water quality because that's all you taking care of is water .get the water right the animals will be ok and no algae.just takes time and patience

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back