Can we please treat corals for what they are?

Should corals be treated as animals or dollar signs?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't play games with prizes I don't care to win. Or I'll play for a bit and bow out or play to win and forfeit to the runner up etc...I've never felt comfortable asking for MORE than what's already being GIVEN at these live sales.

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan,

I'm glad I made this post since it was able to get your attention! I think the part about

was lost in translation because everything I was told was that it was a mystery frag (suggesting that it could be anything).

I didn't mean to say that cherry picking was the only option. Any of the options I listed in the original post would be fine. I probably could have phrased my messages more clearly. Hindsight is always 20/20.

If the freebies have the same care requirements as the other corals in the order, by all means, send them. For any that do not have the same care requirements as the other corals in the order, please exclude them.

I've been buying from TCK since 2019 and you guys always have awesome corals and they are always really clean!
I am not quite sure I am understanding what the main issue is here then. You know what type of corals to expect from TCK. If your space is limited in your aquarium, we would recommend tailoring your order specific to what your tank can handle, and passing on any extras, especially if they could be headed for the trash anyway. I remember being pretty upset reading that, as these are delicate living animals and not some commodity to be tossed... Please let us know if you would like us to still ship your order. Knowing that throwing out the mystery frags was an option, we are still struggling to figure out how to send those with good conscience.

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with OPs premise about Mystery Frags, not just won frags, but also purchased mystery frags. I've bought mystery frags during live sales on a number of occasions and I'm generally happy with what I receive.... I feel like the seller pays attention to what I've generally been ordering and gives me something in line with that theme....

At a recent live sale I bought several frags (15-20), the vast majority of which were different encrusting/branching montis and cyphasterea... I also picked up a random mystery frag, which ended up being a galaxea... i would never ever buy a galaxea, but now I have one, and I need to cordon off a big section of my tank from an evil, killer, GSP cosplayer. I knew what I was doing when I took the risk, but now I'll probably never buy another mystery frag....
I had that happen with a space invader pectinia early on. I had no idea that they were perpetually angry! then I turned on the lights in the middle of the night and saw the horror! He was banished to the corner of the tank.

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not quite sure I am understanding what the main issue is here then. You know what type of corals to expect from TCK. If your space is limited in your aquarium, we would recommend tailoring your order specific to what your tank can handle, and passing on any extras, especially if they could be headed for the trash anyway. I remember being pretty upset reading that, as these are delicate living animals and not some commodity to be tossed... Please let us know if you would like us to still ship your order. Knowing that throwing out the mystery frags was an option, we are still struggling to figure out how to send those with good conscience.
Let's just keep it simple and skip the mystery frags. Then there's no risk. Does that work for you?

these are delicate living animals and not some commodity to be tossed
100% agree. Remember that for someone with only one tank, it's the one animal vs the ecosystem established in the tank. I don't want to throw anything in the trash! I would rather not receive it at all.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that happen with a space invader pectinia early on. I had no idea that they were perpetually angry! then I turned on the lights in the middle of the night and saw the horror! He was banished to the corner of the tank.
I got a space invader from another reefer and I knew it was a potential problem child. It’s on a frag rack in the back , and yes those polyps they put out are ridiculous.
On the subject of the whole mystery/freebie frag issue, I’ve had quite a few nice ones from different vendors ranging from zoas to Cyphastrea for the most part. The only vendor who seems to put freebies that actually match my purchases is @SBB Corals . That being said I enjoy getting freebies with my orders as I might get something new and different that ordinarily wouldn’t try in the tank.

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I still don't know what the heck a codybot is but if you don't want a mystery prize maybe don't play the games :thinking-face:
Hello, there! I’m a CodyBot :)

I host games for some of the live sales here on reef2reef for a few vendors. Come check out a sale thread if you see me commenting in it and you’ll get to see what my games are like. Hope to see you out sometime! It’s always fun hanging out with y’all fine folks!

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a space invader from another reefer and I knew it was a potential problem child. It’s on a frag rack in the back , and yes those polyps they put out are ridiculous.
On the subject of the whole mystery/freebie frag issue, I’ve had quite a few nice ones from different vendors ranging from zoas to Cyphastrea for the most part. The only vendor who seems to put freebies that actually match my purchases is @SBB Corals . That being said I enjoy getting freebies with my orders as I might get something new and different that ordinarily wouldn’t try in the tank.
Right? I swear they can be more sweepers than polyps ha ha

I agree about SBB. I had a goni in my order and my freebies were more gonis. The logic checks out!

I always wish I had a bigger tank or multiple tanks to try more stuff!

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Fwiw, any time I have received a freebie mystery coral it has always been in line with something I had purchased. I bought zoas and yumas and received a jawbreaker. I have never ordered any sps but would imagine most sellers wouldn’t send sun coral with a large sps order. Technically you got it for free so if it doesn’t fit your tank, pass on the love to a fellow reefer or maybe trade it to your lfs for something you want or need to do maintenance on your tank.
This. I was going to say the same thing but wanted to scan the thread first.

It's pretty straight forward, just trade, give away or trade to LFS to fund your hobby. We don't have to get more complex or nasty about the replies. Honestly, if you post on a message board that you have a free rock you'll have people raising their hands to get it, I don't see any issues with passing on a freebie that you don't need/want/can keep alive.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right? I swear they can be more sweepers than polyps ha ha

I agree about SBB. I had a goni in my order and my freebies were more gonis. The logic checks out!

I always wish I had a bigger tank or multiple tanks to try more stuff!
Too bad you dont have a tank as big as the complaint jar required. Lol.

Coral Websites

Web Development
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's just keep it simple and skip the mystery frags. Then there's no risk. Does that work for you?
Sure wish you would have just told me that when I responded to your email and told you that you couldn't cherry pick free corals. I did respond back right away but you sent repeated emails after that and i had already answered your question.

Instead you created this thread to throw the vendor under the bus knowing you where playing for a mystery coral.

The thread title is "can we please treat corals for what they are" ... yet you told me you where unwilling to trade corals and it would get "thrown away".

So was this thread created because you want corals to be treated like animals (that you're willing to throw in the trash)? Or was this thread created to try to bully the vendor into giving you what you want?

Maybe you should edit your original post to be more inline with the title instead of continuing to bash the vendor considering you played and won 3 different games where the prize was clearly stated as a mystery frag.

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I was going to say the same thing but wanted to scan the thread first.

It's pretty straight forward, just trade, give away or trade to LFS to fund your hobby. We don't have to get more complex or nasty about the replies. Honestly, if you post on a message board that you have a free rock you'll have people raising their hands to get it, I don't see any issues with passing on a freebie that you don't need/want/can keep alive.
I don't have the option to leave the home at this time so taking stuff to an LFS isn't really an option. This is probably specific to me while others would just take it to an LFS.

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, there! I’m a CodyBot :)

I host games for some of the live sales here on reef2reef for a few vendors. Come check out a sale thread if you see me commenting in it and you’ll get to see what my games are like. Hope to see you out sometime! It’s always fun hanging out with y’all fine folks!
Codybot has the most diverse array of games around. I could swear that everyone is made to be unique.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't have the option to leave the home at this time so taking stuff to an LFS isn't really an option. This is probably specific to me while others would just take it to an LFS.
Like I mentioned, post it somewhere and people would probably pick it up. I use a local San Diego Facebook messenger group and have had 4 people swing by my house to pick up frags.
Collaborate Think Outside The Box GIF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben549,

First off, I want to personally apologize for not getting back to you right away. We just hosted 2 of our largest auction events back to back, and we have been doing our best to respond to everyone.

Now, regarding the mystery frags. Those mystery frags were prizes for the games that @CodyBot ran during each of the two sale event days, which you participated and won in. Under no circumstances is it fair to anyone who participated and won in other games to allow you to "cherry pick" specific pieces from a list for said prizes won. If you requested to decline the mystery frags (either due to the size of your tank or because you didn't want to risk getting something you couldn't accommodate), to the game(s) runner up, we would have definitely allowed that and the runner up would have been ecstatic. We also have your order on hand, and would have picked mystery frags that coincided with your current order.

On the last note, TCK and many other vendors here on Reef2Reef put in a LOT of hard work and effort to cultivate and aquaculture rare, unique, colorful etc corals that are hardy and proven to thrive in the aquarium habitat with utmost level of care and attention.

With all of this said, if you would like to cancel your order, please email us at [email protected] or note it here in the thread/PM.

Thanks,
Dan
I’ll gladly take their free frag.

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure wish you would have just told me that when I responded to your email and told you that you couldn't cherry pick free corals. I did respond back right away but you sent repeated emails after that and i had already answered your question.

Instead you created this thread to throw the vendor under the bus knowing you where playing for a mystery coral.

The thread title is "can we please treat corals for what they are" ... yet you told me you where unwilling to trade corals and it would get "thrown away".

So was this thread created because you want corals to be treated like animals (that you're willing to throw in the trash)? Or was this thread created to try to bully the vendor into giving you what you want?

Maybe you should edit your original post to be more inline with the title instead of continuing to bash the vendor considering you played and won 3 different games where the prize was clearly stated as a mystery frag.
I just like playing the games, it's not that I was after the mystery frags.

It doesn't change the issue that mystery frags ignore the care requirements of the coral and as an industry, we can and should do better to ensure that the coral makes it to a place where it can be cared for.

I didn't say unwilling, I said that I couldn't, as in not being able to.

There's no bullying. I presented a problem, shared a few options for addressing the problem, and then shared an example of the problem to support my claims.

The title of the thread is in line with the intention of better care and support for corals. That is the goal.

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I mentioned, post it somewhere and people would probably pick it up. I use a local San Diego Facebook messenger group and have had 4 people swing by my house to pick up frags.
Collaborate Think Outside The Box GIF
That's just not my style of reefing I guess. I know I'm probably a minority in that.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm not opposed to getting free coral, I see the dilemma.
If it was me and I didn't want the coral for whatever reason, I would either sell it or give it away to a local reefer. You tried but didn't have luck.

That being said, I don't like the idea of calling this a hobby. I don't call having a dog or cat as hobby, I call them loving companions.
Why would we when it comes to fish, coral, inverts and all that goodness?

This is called Reef keeping or FOWLR, but not a hobby. All our living beings deserve the same love and care.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God I love this hobby. Take your favorite pet and start cutting them up slowly to see how long they live. Go to insane measure to keep them alive as long as possible. Get so giddy about your work you glue their mouth shut. Then if all goes well tape them up in a box and mail them in the dark to some rando with 3999999ppm NO3 so they can finish them off and throw the corpse in the trash or decorate with their skeletons. Good times.
This is something I disagree with.
Corals to myself and I think many others, are not living beings. They have no feelings or emotions. I look at them as I would plants. They are my under water garden. To be propagated they must be cut. I assume you have corals? If so did you harvest them from the ocean? If so you removed them from their home. If you didn't then they were cut (propagated) and you purchased them or someone gave them to you. But your comments make me think you only have fish only and no coral :thinking-face:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back