Can we please treat corals for what they are?

Should corals be treated as animals or dollar signs?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said, I don't like the idea of calling this a hobby. I don't call having a dog or cat as hobby, I call them loving companions.
Why would we when it comes to fish, coral, inverts and all that goodness?

This is called Reef keeping or FOWLR, but not a hobby. All our living beings deserve the same love and care.
That's a really interesting point about calling it a hobby.
FWIW I have fish that have died buried in the yard. (as opposed to throwing them in the trash or toilet)

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really interesting point about calling it a hobby.
FWIW I have fish that have died buried in the yard. (as opposed to throwing them in the trash or toilet)
I had 2 in my freezer for 8 months waiting for winter to pass lol

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shall we talk about taking a wild animal from the ocean and sticking it in a miniature box by comparison to live out the rest of its days in confinement?

Would we buy a dog and stick it in a kennel 24/7 and justify the behavior because we keep it well fed?

Where do we want to draw the line?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replies in this thread gives me hope for humanity. Thank you to those with common sense.
Replies to this thread make me think people are way too sensitive and totally unrealistic about life. If enough of those people have their way eventually we will no longer be allowed to to own corals fish or even pets.

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I mentioned, post it somewhere and people would probably pick it up. I use a local San Diego Facebook messenger group and have had 4 people swing by my house to pick up frags.
Collaborate Think Outside The Box GIF
This! :star-struck: i’m about to start a mushroom hand out over here as all of mine are splitting so i now have twice as many in my already crowded little tank! :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shall we talk about taking a wild animal from the ocean and sticking it in a miniature box by comparison to live out the rest of its days in confinement?

Would we buy a dog and stick it in a kennel 24/7 and justify the behavior because we keep it well fed?

Where do we want to draw the line?
personally, I think it comes down to the animal's growth and happiness. We can definitely tell when coral is "unhappy " because of something we have done even if it can't express the emotion. We can't meet every need for our dogs but we do our best to meet as many as possible. Same for the coral.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I disagree with.
Corals to myself and I think many others, are not living beings. They have no feelings or emotions. I look at them as I would plants. They are my under water garden. To be propagated they must be cut. I assume you have corals? If so did you harvest them from the ocean? If so you removed them from their home. If you didn't then they were cut (propagated) and you purchased them or someone gave them to you. But your comments make me think you only have fish only and no coral :thinking-face:
Have over 80 unique corals and countless frags. Also horses and dogs 0_0

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lord, here we go again. Always the victim.
I swear you didn't get enough attention growing up.
You love drama!
There's no drama implied in the poll. It's an A or B question.
There's no need for personal attacks, we can have different opinions and still participate in this forum.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can't meet every need for our dogs but we do our best to meet as many as possible. Same for the coral.
Sorry my dogs express emotion and interact with people. Corals do not. A coral not being happy is a phrase not and statement of thier emotion because they have no emotions. No. More than saying a plant is unhappy because I forgot to water it. But we all have our own personal feelings and it's probably best I bow out at this time.

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my dogs express emotion and interact with people. Corals do not. A coral not being happy is a phrase not and statement of thier emotion because they have no options. No. More than saying a plant is unhappy because I forgot to water it. But we all have our own personal feelings and it's probably best I bow out at this time.
It's all good. I think there's value in having both sides of the argument. It's the only way to see things from a different perspective.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People get buuutthurt too easy when god forbid someone has a different view point. I agree with @exnisstech, can’t we just agree either all life matter or no life matters and get along.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
God I love this hobby. Take your favorite pet and start cutting them up slowly to see how long they live. Go to insane measure to keep them alive as long as possible. Get so giddy about your work you glue their mouth shut. Then if all goes well tape them up in a box and mail them in the dark to some rando with 3999999ppm NO3 so they can finish them off and throw the corpse in the trash or decorate with their skeletons. Good times.
This is suspiciously specific...

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add fuel to the fire are they half plant half animal, or actually an animal? Lol My condy changes colors and retracts when it’s unhappy with water, changes the direction of it’s tentacles if someone is cooking in the kitchen (towards the action lol), and responds subtly to people near the tank - could be reflex, most likely looking for a meal like the fish do lol

This one in 2017 says animal, not 1/2 and 1/2 :upside-down-face:

IMG_7060.jpeg IMG_7061.jpeg

OP
OP
Ben549

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add fuel to the fire are they half plant half animal, or actually an animal? Lol My condy changes colors and retracts when it’s unhappy with water, changes the direction of it’s tentacles if someone is cooking in the kitchen (towards the action lol), and responds subtly to people near the tank - could be reflex, most likely looking for a meal like the fish do lol
oh wow, I don't know much about condys but that sounds really interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back