Candy Cane Dying or Just Mad at Me?

Apollo7235

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2020
Messages
751
Reaction score
743
Location
Orlando, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there all,

I just brought this pretty little WWC Kryptonite Candy Cane home on Wednesday. So far, it seems like it's been doing fine up until today. It did get knocked around a little bit during a top off while I was being careless last night. I fed it a very small piece of mysis after I replaced it and it swallowed it fine, so I assumed everything was good with it. This morning, however, I noticed the mouths are both open and it seems pretty deflated.

Is it hungry, mad at me, or dying? I am seriously concerned because it looks to me like the tissue is receding away from one of the mouths where is almost looks a little discolored around the edges. Could it just be preparing to split, possibly? Maybe? Please? Ugh.

I have a dendro, duncan, platygyra, and some clove polyps in QT with this candy cane and they are all extended and happy. I was planning to do a water change today, but now I am afraid to do anything for fear of upsetting this little guy further.

Water parameters:

Salinity: 1.025
Temperature: 79.8F
Ammonia: Looks to be 0, but definitely less than 0.05ppm. (per Salifert & Seachem Ammonia Badge)
Nitrates: Between 5.0 & 10ppm
KH: ~161.1ppm
pH: ~8.0
Phosphate: 0ppm
Calcium: ~420ppm

IMG_9781.JPG
 
It looks fine, some days they are all inflated and puffy, some days they aren’t, in my experience
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 9.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new