Canister Filter Media

D0ubt

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2021
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Location
Washington
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I have a fluval canister filter, and I have a reef tank with mostly soft coral. I am re-evaluating filter media choices, and am looking for recommendations. What are the best medias to use in a canister filter, and is there a particular placement order recommended?
 
I have an fx4 and I do all sponge on the top tray and Brightwell cubes/assorted biomedia in the bottom tray. The top tray should have alot of your mechanical filtration as it gets the dirty water first. That way your biomedia doesn't get clogged pores. Honestly I think one of the best set ups is coarse foam on the bottom and sponge on top, its cheap and works really well.
 
I have an Eheim Pro 2080 canister filter. I usually buy the one made by the manufacturer however its pricey. In the past I have used polyester batting from Walmart its cheap but it doesn't hold up and didn't do that great of a job filtering, and these Aquatic Experts are the best by far! I have used blue, green, and red filter pads they all worked about the same.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new