Canister Filter Media

D0ubt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
I have a fluval canister filter, and I have a reef tank with mostly soft coral. I am re-evaluating filter media choices, and am looking for recommendations. What are the best medias to use in a canister filter, and is there a particular placement order recommended?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an fx4 and I do all sponge on the top tray and Brightwell cubes/assorted biomedia in the bottom tray. The top tray should have alot of your mechanical filtration as it gets the dirty water first. That way your biomedia doesn't get clogged pores. Honestly I think one of the best set ups is coarse foam on the bottom and sponge on top, its cheap and works really well.

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Eheim Pro 2080 canister filter. I usually buy the one made by the manufacturer however its pricey. In the past I have used polyester batting from Walmart its cheap but it doesn't hold up and didn't do that great of a job filtering, and these Aquatic Experts are the best by far! I have used blue, green, and red filter pads they all worked about the same.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back